Jamkhambaliya Sessions judge N T Solanki, after rejecting the applications of the accused policemen, today completed the process of framing charges and fixed December 4 for recording of evidence.
Apart from Bhatt, who has alleged complicity of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2002 post-Godhra riots, the six accused policemen are Dipak Bhagwandas Shah, Keshubhai Jadeja, Shailesh Pandya, Pravinsinh Jorubha Jhala, Pravinsinh Babubhai Jhala and Anopsinh Jethwa.
The case pertains to the death of one Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to injuries inflicted on him while in custody at the Jamkhambaliya police station.
The police had allegedly thrashed him on the night of October 30, 1990. Bhatt was Assistant Superintendent of Police then in Jamnagar.
He had arrested Vaishnani and more than 100 other people for rioting and other offences. They were protesting the arrest of BJP leader Lal Krishna Advani who had embarked on the Rath Yatra at that time.
The court framed charges against all the seven accused in the case under various sections of the Indian Penal Code(IPC) including 302 (murder), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 506(1) (criminal intimidation) read either with 114 (abetment) or 34 (common intent).
“After the delay of so many years, finally the trial has commenced and now the first thing we have to do is to finalise the list of witnesses whom we want to examine,” said public prosecutor Vimal Chotai. Prabhudas's brother, Amrutlal Vaishnani, had lodged a complaint against Bhatt and six other policemen in the case.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special