New Delhi: While speaking on a celebration of Elevation to Sainthood of Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Mother Euphrasia in New Delhi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi lashed out at the recent attacks on churches and a Christian school. He said that he won't allow any group to incite hatred.
In order to reach out to Christians and other minority groups, he said, “My government will not allow any religious group belonging to the majority or minority to incite hatred against any group.”
Adding that fanaticism will not be tolerated he stressed, “We believe religion is personal choice of every citizen.”
He further said, “World is increasingly witnessing division and hostility on religious lines, this has become a matter of global concern. In this context the ancient Indian play of mutual respect for all faiths is now beginning to manifest in global discourses.”
Some of the highlights of his speech are –
1) The lives of Saint Chavara and Euphrasia are an inspiration not only to Christian community but to the entire humanity. Their recognition gives a feeling of pride to the entire country.
2) Mother India gave birth to many religious and spiritual streams.
3) The tradition of welcoming, respecting and honoring all faiths is as old as India itself. Even our constitution has roots in ancient cultural traditions of India.
4) Principle of equal respect has been part of India's ethos for thousands of years and that's how it became integral to Constitution of India
5) World is increasingly witnessing division and hostility on religious lines, this has become a matter of global concern In this context the ancient Indian play of mutual respect for all faiths is now beginning to manifest in global discourses
6) My government will ensure that there is complete freedom of faith and everyone has undeniable right to retain religion of his/her choice
7) Our government will not allow any religious group belonging to majority or minority to incite violence overtly or covertly
8) India is a land of Buddha and Gandhi, equal respect for all religion should be in the DNA of every citizen
9) I strongly condemn such violence, my government will act strongly in this regard
10) With this commitment I appeal all religious groups to act with mutual respect and tolerance in true spirit of this ancient nation