“There is a distinct possibility that this auction was deliberately manipulated. Through this auction the government wants to prove the CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) wrong. Careful investigation must be made about this entire auction,” Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Murli Manohar Joshi said here.
The recently concluded auction, which lasted just two days, got total bids worth Rs.9,407.64 crore, just one-third of the minimum Rs.28,000 crore the government was expecting. The auction was a far cry from the 35-day bidding for the 3G spectrum in 2010 that got Rs.67,719 crore.
Following the flopped auction, the Congress went on the offensive against CAG Vinod Rai demanding “a comprehensive overhaul of CAG's calculation of presumptive loss figures”.
The CAG in 2010 said that the then telecom minister A. Raja's decision to give away spectrum at rates fixed in 2001 had caused a presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer.
Dr. Joshi also attacked the government for openly criticising the supreme auditor and dared the Congress to bring in an impeachment motion against the CAG.
“It is unconstitutional to criticise the CAG either publicly or in private. By criticising a constitutional body, they are insulting the constitution. If they have the facts then why don't they bring in an impeachment motion and get him removed,” said Dr. Joshi.
Continuing his attack, he said: “The government has been a complete failure. It has lost the mandate to govern the country. Bad days are ahead.”
From Our Network
- Agusta choppers: No evidence against Sonia, Congress quotes Italy judge
- Shiv Sena's alliance with BJP for Hindutva, not power: Uddhav Thackeray
- Major change in ‘Pak policy’? Govt says no problem in Hurriyat talking to Islamabad
- Play active role for village development, use Centre’s resources: PM Modi
- GSPC defaulted Rs.19,700 crore bank loan under Modi: Congress
- Salman on Eid and Ajay, Hrithik on R-Day: Is SRK caught between devil and deep sea?
- Is this the actual reason behind Sushant Singh Rajput and Ankita Lokhande’s break-up?
- Kangana-Hrithik & Salman’s ambassadorship: Sanjay Dutt speaks on burning controversies
- KRK has something to say about Karan Singh Grover’s third marriage with Bipasha Basu
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors