Kehar Singh and Satwant Singh, assassins of then prime minister Indira Gandhi were hanged inside the jail in 1989.
Afzal Guru is the seventh man hanged inside the prison since 1981, a Tihar Jail official told IANS. Guru was hanged at 8 a.m. Saturday.
In 1982, Ranga and Billa were executed for kidnapping and murdering two minors, Geeta Chopra and her younger brother Sanjay.
Maqbool Bhat of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front was executed in 1984 while Jugar Singh was hanged inside the jail in 1985 in the murder case of Vidya Jain.
In 1989, both the assassins of Indira Gandhi were executed by the famous hangman, 'Kalu', a resident of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh. He was paid Rs.150 for carrying out the execution process.
From Our Network
- Start negotiations to ‘leave’ as soon as possible, EU chiefs tell Britain
- Grounds need to be watered, match or no match: PM Modi on IPL row
- Work on border fencing on Indo-Bangla border to be completed
- Sourav Ganguly wasn't even present during my interview, says Ravi Shastri
- Militants ambush CRPF bus in Kashmir; eight soldiers martyred, 24 injured