According to ANI, a case has been registered in Jodhpur against the trio for the comments made in Johar's chat show Koffee with Karan earlier this year.
Koffee with Karan fallout: Hardik Pandya has not stepped out of home after returning to India, says father
Koffee with Karan fallout: Call for SGM ignored, CK Khanna, Amitabh Chaudhry want to wait for SC order
Karan Johar breaks silence on Hardik Pandya Koffee With Karan controversy, says he had sleepless nights
Karan Johar apologises for Pandya-Rahul episode of Koffee with Karan, says 'may have crossed boundaries'
India vs New Zealand: Hardik Pandya shines on return to Team India following Koffee with Karan controversy
India vs New Zealand: Controversy can help Hardik Pandya scale new heights in career, says Virat Kohli
Pandya and Rahul were suspended after the former's comments especially were found to be racial and misogynistic by people. Following the episode, social media tore into Pandya for his comments and mentality on women. The all-rounder did apologise for his actions but he along with Rahul were temporarily suspended by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
The pair was sent back home from Australia in the middle of the tour and were asked to explain themselves.
While Pandya did apologise for his comments, Rahul has remained silent till now.
"After reflecting on my comments on Koffee with Karan, I would like to apologise to everyone concerned who I may have hurt in a way. Honestly, I got a bit carried away with the nature of the show. In no way did I mean to disrespect of hurt anyone’s sentiments. Respect," Pandya tweeted.
— hardik pandya (@hardikpandya7) January 9, 2019
Johar also expressed his sorrow over the whole fiasco.
"I haven't spoken about it really... I feel very responsible because it was my show and my platform. I invited them as guests and so the ramifications and repercussions of the show are my responsibility. I have had so many sleepless nights, just wondering about how I can undo this damage. Who is going to listen to me? It has now gone into a zone that is beyond my control," Johar said.
The board however wasn't pleased with the effort and it was decided that the pair will remain suspended until a formal enquiry is done but due to lack of clarity regarding the process of it and a difference of opinion between the Committee of Administrators (CoA) members Vinod Rai and Diana Edulji, the ban on the duo was lifted.
Pandya joined the Indian squad in New Zealand and impressed with both bat and ball while Rahul's flop show continued against the England Lions in the unofficial ODIs.
The Baroda all-rounder is expected to take the field again on Wednesday when India and the Black Caps square off in the first T20 of the three-match series in Wellington.
It remains to be seen now what happens for the cricketers ahead of the World Cup in England as along with BCCI's enquiry, there will now be other legal proceedings to worry about as well.