New Delhi: Yakub Memon's lawyers at last minute filed a petition in Supreme Court challenging Maharashtra governor's decision to reject his fresh mercy plea.
Here are the live updates:
* Yakub Memon to be hanged as Supreme Court rejects last-minute plea
* Review petition for Yakub Memon was heard for ten days when the law mandates that only half hour has to be given: Justice Dipak Misra
* Ample opportunity was given to Yakub Memon to present his case: Justice Dipak Misra
* On 11.4.2014 mercy petition by the brother of Yakub Memon was rejected: Justice Dipak Misra
* Execution warrant was communicated to Yakub Memon on 13th July '15: Justice Dipak Misra
* Both sides conclude arguments. Judges to pronounce decision on Yakub's plea shortly.
* Lawyer questions how the President rejected the fresh mercy plea in a short time
* Grover says Memon has right to challenge rejection of mercy plea
* Yakub Memon's lawyer Anand Grover argues that a death row convict is entitled to 14 days reprieve after rejection of mercy plea.
* SC starts hearing Yakub Memon's petition at 3.20 am
* All judges of the three member bench, who will hear Yakub Memon's plea, reach Supreme Court
* Three member bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Prafulla Chandra Pant and Amitava Roy will hear Yakub's plea shortly
* Protests outside Supreme Court against the hearing on Yakub Memon
* Justice Dipak Misra to head the three member bench that will hear Yakub Memon's plea shortly.
* Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi reaches Supreme Court
* Hearing on Yakub Memon's last-ditch petition to take place in Court No. 4 of Supreme Court
* In the fresh plea, lawyers for Memon are likely to argue that the person facing the gallows should be given at least 14 days time after the rejection of his mercy petition as the apex court's guidelines.
* The bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Prafulla Chandra Pant and Amitava Roy, which had upheld the death warrant against the 1993 Mumbai blasts convict, will hear the petition at the Supreme Court.
* Hearing on Yakub Menon's last-ditch petition minute plea to be held at Justice Dipak Mishra's residence at 2:15 AM
* SC registrar reaches CJI's residence again
* CJI could form 3 same judge bench that heard Yakub Memon's petition
* SC to hear fresh plea at 2 AM
* Supreme Court registrar leaves CJI's residence
* Registrar will inform CJI on Yaqub Memon's new plea
* Supreme Court registrar reaches CJI HL Dattu's residence
The petition pleaded that an order should be passed that the authorities should give him at least 14 days time for execution after the rejection of his mercy petition as per the apex court's guidelines.
Lawyers registered the plea in registry at Chief Justice HL Dattu's residence. They will then try to mention it before CJI.
Eminent lawyer Prashant Bhushan also reached Chief Justice HL Dattu's residence. Bhushan is one of the people who were against the death sentence of Yakub Memon.
Prominent lawyers Indra jaisingh, Yug Chaudhary and Vrinda grover were also seen at CJI's residence.
The petition will be processed before a decision is taken whether it is to be heard and if so by one or more judges at their residence.
Meanwhile, President Pranab Mukherjee rejected the mercy petition filed by Memon against his death sentence which is scheduled for tomorrow morning.
President took this decision after his meeting with Home Minister Rajnath Singh. After President's rejection of Yakub Memon's mercy petion the stage is all set for his execution tomorrow at 07 .00 Am at Nagpur jail.
Earlier, Home Minister Rajnath Singh called on President Pranab Mukherjee and is believed to have conveyed government's view that the mercy petition of Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon be rejected.
Singh's meeting came after government at the top level considered the mercy petition referred to it by the President who acts on the aid and advice of the Council of Ministers.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Singh and top officials, including Home Secretary L C Goyal met at the Prime Minister's residence and discussed the issue and felt that the President should be advised to reject the mercy petition filed today.
Hectic consultations were on in the evening on the issue with Law Secretary P K Malhotra holding discussions with the Home Secretary apparently on the issue.
Rashtrapati Bhavan is expected to make public its decision, one way or the other, on the issue tonight as time is running out for Memon.
He is scheduled to be hanged tomorrow morning in the Nagpur jail after the Supreme Court dismissed his petition against the death warrant on the ground that it was issued before his curative plea was heard by the court.
(With PTI inputs)