2002 Salman Khan Hit-and-run case LIVE:
- Salman case shows VIPs can avoid jail: Kiran Bedi
- Salman Khan leaves for his residence from sessions court
- Salman Khan leaves Sessions Court after furnishing the bail bond of Rs 30,000
- Salman Khan surrenders before the Sessions Court
- At some point some accountability will be held I believe: Renuka Chowdhury on Bombay HC decision
- That if you have money and if you are powerful then you can continue drinking and driving: Neelam Katara
- Bombay HC decision sends a wrong message: Neelam Katara
- Salman arrives at Sessions Court to furnish bail bond of Rs 30,000
- Salman Khan leaves residence to furnish bail bond in Sessions Court
- Decision of court proves that poor has not got justice: Satyapal Singh
- It proves a common man can't get justice easily: Satyapal Singh, BJP MP
- Fans start celebrations outside Salman Khan's residence
- Bombay HC decision means Salman Khan won't go to jail
- Salman should first surrender, then appeal for fresh bond: Judge Abhay Thipsay
- Bombay HC suspends Salman's sentence, grants him regular bail
- Why bail should not be given to Salman Khan, Judge Thipsay asks prosecution
- A fan of Salman Khan tries to commit suicide outside Bombay HC, he is taken to hospital
- Public Prosecutor Sandeep Shinde begins his argument
- Amit Desai concludes his argument
- This case is different from Alistair Pereira case, Pereira knew there were people sleeping on pavement. In this case it wasn't so: Amit Desai
- Altaf was the one who was driving that day: Amit Desai
- Prosecution has not proven that Salman was driving the car: Amit Desai
- Kamaal Khan was in the car but his statement was not taken into consideration by sessions court: Amit Desai
- Judge Thipsay seeks witness Ravindra Patil's statement
- Sentence should be suspended, it is not a matter of 304(2) but 304(1): Salman Khan's lawyer Amit Desai
- Salman's lawyer Amit Desai asks the judge for some time for papers to reach court
- Salman Khan's appeal for bail hearing accepted
- Hearing on Salman Khan's bail hearing begins in Bombay HC
Khan is not attending the court today, however, he has to surrender before the police till 5 pm, in case the court does not grant him bail.
Khan has two teams of advocates were working simultaneously on the bail plea, one in Bombay High Court and another in Supreme Court.
Senior council Amit desai argued Salman's case befor Judge Thipsay.
On Wednesday, Sessions judge D W Deshpande held Salman guilty in all the eight charges including of culpable homicide not amounting to murder in 13 year old case in which one died and four others were injured.
Relief came to Khan after he was granted interim bail for two days by the Bombay High Court later that day.
In his 240 page long judgement, Sessions Judge DW Deshpande rejected Salman's contention that his driver Ashok Singh was at the wheel when the accident had happened.
The court also said that the actor was drunk while driving and also did not have a proper driving licence at the time of accident.
Salman Khan reaches home at Galaxy Apartment.
Here are the major developments of that took place during the final day of hit and run case at the Sessions Court in Mumbai.
- Salman Khan leaves court premises for home.
- Salman Khan filling up bail bond. He will leave for home after completing the process.
- Salman Khan's car arrives at Sessions Court
- Salman Khan is still in Sessions Court, once interim bail order from HC reaches Session Court he will be allowed to go.
- The interim bail was granted because judgment copy was not given in time to court
- Saman Khan gets interim bail for two days from Bombay High Court
- We are happy with the verdict but we should also be given compensation: Mohd Kalim (Victim of Hit and Run case)
- Salman's lawyer move HC for bail application, will appeal for the bail in front of Justice Thipsay
- Salman Khan's lawyer accompanied by his sister Arpita reach Mumbai HC
- Its fair and square. Law is for everyone: John Francis Fernandes (Eye witness in the case)
- Salman Khan will have to go to the HC for bail now. Because if sessions court pronounces a punishment for more than 3 yrs then they can not give bail: Majeed Memon
- Salman Khan is likely to be sent to Arthur road jail today.
- Salman Khan shocked by sentence, sits down and breaks down into tears
- The court awards 5 years jail term to Salman Khan
- Court expected to announce quantum of punishment at 1:10PM
- Public prosecutor Pradeep Gharat asks judge to give maximum punishment of 10yrs to Salman Khan
- Public prosecutor Pradeep Gharat begins his argument
- Pleading for a minimum quantum of punishment, Salman Khan's lawyer talks about 'Being Human' initiative and the fact that he sponsored heart surgeries of 600 children
- I will pray for a lesser sentence for Salman. I have full sympathy with him: Hema Malini
- Salman Khan's sisters Alvira Khan Agnihotri and Arpita Khan Sharma seen in tears in the courtroom
- Arguments on quantum of punishment going on in the courtroom
- Sohail Khan leaves the court premises after hearing his mother's illness
- Salman Khan's mother falls ill after his conviction
- I'm innocent, Salman told the court.
- In the courtroom, Salman said all charges against him are false as he was not driving the SUV.
- Salman Khan's lawyer Shrikant Shivade cites Alistair Pereira and BMW hit and run Nanda case for reduced sentence
- Salman's lawyer pleads for a maximum sentence of 2 years given his track record and humanitarian work
- Salman Khan come out of courtroom, tears rolling down his eyes
- Salman Khan found guilty on all charges
- Mumbai sessions court convicts Salman Khan in 2002 hit-and-run case. Court says Salman was driving the vehicle.
- Salman Khan arrives in courtroom
- Salman reaches Mumbai sessions court premises
- We have tried to bring the truth and placed all facts in front of the court: Pradeep Gharat (Public Prosecutor)
- #SalmanVerdict on top of Twitter trends.
- Salman Khan is reportedly being driven to the court for verdict by the driver who says he was driving the vehicle on the night of the accident
- Baba Siddique arrive at Mumbai sessions court ahead of the verdict in the 2002 hit and run case
- Salman's brother Sohail Khan reaches Mumbai sessions court
- Strong police deployement at Mumbai sessions court
- Salman leaves for sessions court. A fleet of cars follow him
- Salman's family leaves for court, he will follow shortly
- Salman's family members offer prayers all night ahead of verdict
- Salman's sister Arpita Khan Sharma tweets: "Today is a big day for us & we know we are not alone.Thank you for your Dua's , love & support always. God bless !"
- Mumbai: Arpita reaches Salman's residence
Bollywood reacts to Salman conviction:
The actor is accused of ramming his car, while drunk, into a roadside bakery in suburban Bandra in the wee hours of September 28, 2002, killing one person and injuring four others.
After conviction, Khan faces up to 10 years in jail in the 13 year old case.
More than RS 200 cr is riding on the superstar. Salman is part of three of the big budget Bollywood movies including Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Entry Mein No Entry, and Shuddhi.
Khan, in his 25 years or career, has acted in more than 100 films and television shows since his first hit, Maine Pyar Kiya. However, the is not new to the controversy off screen. In the year 1998 he spent more than a week in prison for killing endangered black bucks.
What happened on the night of September 28, 2002
- The accident took place at 3 a.m. when Salman was allegedly driving his imported Toyata Land Cruiser (MH-01-DA-32) from Khar to Bandstand at Bandra in Mumbai. Immediately after the accident, Salman fled for the scene of accident.
- At around 10.45 a.m. Salman was arrested at St Martin Road in Mumbai while he was going to the Bandra police station to give his statement. The actor was interrogated by the cops for over three hours. Later, he was taken for a blood test at the JJ Hospital at Byculla.
- Salman was granted bail on the same evening after furnishing a bond of Rs 950 with the Bandra police station and was allowed to go home.
- 1 Person Died- Nurullah Mehboob Sharif ; 4 Were Injured - Abdulla Rauf Abhul Shaikh (22) and Muslim Niyamat Shaikh (17),Munna Malai Khan And Kalim Mohammed Shaikh in the accident. All of them were employees of the American Express Bakery who were asleep on the pavement that night.
Charges Against Salman Khan:
- Salman Khan has been found guilty of all charges levelled against him ( as given below)
- Indian Penal Code Sec. 304 part II (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) which attracts upto 10 years in prison; Sec. 279 (rash and negligent driving) which stipulates six months jail; Secs. 337 & 338 (causing hurt by act endangering life and causing grievous hurt) with punishment up to two years; Sec. 427 (mischief causing damage to property) with maximum punishment of upto 2 years.
- Motor Vehicle Act: Secs. 34 (a), (b) read with 181 (driving vehicle in contravention of rules) and 185 (driving at great speed after consuming alcohol with punishment of cancellation of driving license
- Bombay Prohibition Act: Driving under influence of alcohol with maximum 6 months' jail.
judge D W Deshpande, Public prosecutor Pradeep Gharat, Ravindra Himmatrao Patil, Muslim Niyamat Shaikh, Ashok Singh and Shrikant Shivade are few of the people who would seal the fate of Salman Khan.
Two of the witnesses presented by prosecution testified that Salman had Bacardi rum on the night of accident. It is the judgement day tomorrow and judge D W Deshpande would bang his gavel to tell the world if he believes in the ‘Bacardi rum theory'.
Curious case of Salman Khan's hit-and-run trail: 10 facts about the 2002 American Express Bakery accident
This hit-and-run case trial, that has been extensively discussed, has many details to be considered and before the verdict is declared, here is a quick recap of all that has happened over a period of 13 years.