India Vs Westindies 2018
  1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Sports News
  4. Soccer News
  5. One Killed In Renewed Soccer Violence In Egypt

One Killed In Renewed Soccer Violence In Egypt

Cairo, Mar 24: Soccer violence re-erupted in Egypt today again leaving a 13-year-old boy dead and scores injured as security forces clashed with fans of nation's top football club al-Masry, who were protesting against the

PTI [ Updated: March 24, 2012 17:37 IST ]
one killed in renewed soccer violence in egypt
one killed in renewed soccer violence in egypt

Cairo, Mar 24: Soccer violence re-erupted in Egypt today again leaving a 13-year-old boy dead and scores injured as security forces clashed with fans of nation's top football club al-Masry, who were protesting against the ban on the team over last month's deadly stadium riots.  


The 13-year-old boy was shot in the back and 18 others fans injured as security forces burst tear gas shells to disperse club fans in violence overnight in Port Said, state TV reported.

The violence erupted last night and continued for the whole day today as protesters set fire to tyres, blocked major roads and then attempted to storm the main administrative building of the Suez Canal.

The protest was held after the Egyptian Football Association decided to ban Al-Masry from playing for two years and cancel matches at Port Said stadium for three years.  

“One was shot in the back and died, and 18 were injured in the clashes, two of them are suffering gunshot wounds,” a medical source said.

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said the club was banned for two seasons following the pitch invasion that killed 74 fans on February 1 when Port Said-based Masry beat Cairo's Ahly team, the most successful club in Africa.  

Port Said Stadium, where the violence took place, will be closed for three years, the EFA said, and Masry will be reinstated to the premier league for the 2013/14 season.  

Hundreds of football fans took to the streets of Port Said, infuriated by the decision.

Masry fans have repeatedly denied responsibility for the February massacre, saying that the attack was plotted by members of the former Mubarak regime.

Write a comment

Live Scorecard