New Delhi : Baffled by ICC Pitch Consultant Andy Atkinson's damning report on the ground renovation work at Ferozeshah Kotla, the Delhi and District Cricket Association on Wednesday dismissed speculation that the venue is in danger of losing the 2011 World Cup matches scheduled here.
DDCA Secretary S P Bansal said the ground would be ready by September 1 this year, adding the association was surprised by Atkinson's report since he was happy with the renovation when he visited the venue earlier this month.
"Let me make it clear that there is no such danger for Kotla and the ground would be ready to host international matches by September 1," Bansal told PTI, adding DDCA was yet to receive a copy of Atkinson's report.
Kotla earned a one year international ban after the pitch was found unfit for play during an India-Sri Lanka ODI which was abandoned in November last year.
In February, Atkinson visited the stadium and suggested remedial measures and he came again earlier this month to monitor the progress.
In his report to ICC, Atkinson criticised DDCA for delaying renovation work, which came as a complete surprise to Bansal.
"First thing I don't know why he made such remarks. He visited the ground some 10 days back and was 100 per cent satisfied with the progress made. Now I don't know what happened subsequently to change his views so dramatically," Bansal said.
Asked about the delay in starting the renovation work, Bansal blamed Atkinson for it.
"The delay was not caused by DDCA. It was Atkinson who demanded a chemical, which was not available from the company he preferred. A second company offered the chemical but he rejected it."
"Eventually we had to import the chemical and that naturally took 10-12 days. But still work is in full swing and we will have the ground ready by September 1. So where was this delay he is talking about?" he asked. PTI