New Delhi: Yakub Abdul Razzak Memon, convicted in the March 12, 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, was hanged till death at the Nagpur Central Jail on Thursday morning, officials said.
He was sent to the gallows -- on his 54th birthday on Thursday -- after several of his court appeals and clemency petitions were rejected by various courts.
Here are the important developments:
* Yakub Memon's body arrives at his residence in Mahim
* Yakub memon's family members along with his body arrive in Mumbai
* Yakub's body taken to Nagpur airport
* Tight security at Vijay Chowk, Rashtrapati Bhawan, North Block, South Block and Parliament
* Yakub's body handed over to family members in Nagpur
ALSO READ: #YakubHanged top trend on Twitter
* Tight security in Mumbai after Yakub's execution
* Yakub Memon's body to be taken to Mumbai in afternoon
* Yakub's brothers Suleman and Usman reacj Nagpur jail
* Security tightened at public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam's residence
* Yakub's body to be handed over to relatives after formalities
* Maharashtra CM to make statement in Assembly at 11 am
* Yakub's body to be given to his brother
* Yakub Memon hanged at 6:35 am in Nagpur jail
* Yakub Memon to be hanged as Supreme Court rejects last-minute plea
* Review petition of Yakub Memon was heard for ten days when the law mandates that only half hour has to be given: Justice Dipak Misra
* Ample opportunity was given to Yakub Memon to present his case: Justice Dipak Misra
* On 11.4.2014 mercy petition by the brother of Yakub Memon was rejected: Justice Dipak Misra
ALSO READ: Chronology of 1993 Mumbai serial blasts
* Execution warrant was communicated to Yakub Memon on 13th July 2015: Justice Dipak Misra
* Both sides conclude arguments. Judges to pronounce decision on Yakub's plea shortly
* Lawyer questions how the President rejected the fresh mercy plea in a short time
* Grover says Memon has right to challenge rejection of mercy plea
* Yakub Memon's lawyer Anand Grover argues that a death row convict is entitled to 14 days reprieve after rejection of mercy plea
* SC starts hearing Yakub Memon's petition at 3.20 am
* All judges of the three-member bench, who will hear Yakub Memon's plea, reach Supreme Court
* Three member bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Prafulla Chandra Pant and Amitava Roy will hear Yakub's plea shortly
* Protests outside Supreme Court against the hearing on Yakub Memon
* Justice Dipak Misra to head the three member bench that will hear Yakub Memon's plea shortly.
* Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi reaches Supreme Court
* Hearing on Yakub Memon's last-ditch petition to take place in Court No. 4 of Supreme Court
* In the fresh plea, lawyers for Memon are likely to argue that the person facing the gallows should be given at least 14 days time after the rejection of his mercy petition as the apex court's guidelines
* The bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Prafulla Chandra Pant and Amitava Roy, which had upheld the death warrant against the 1993 Mumbai blasts convict, will hear the petition at the Supreme Court
* Hearing on Yakub Menon's last-ditch petition minute plea to be held at Justice Dipak Mishra's residence at 2:15 AM
* SC registrar reaches CJI's residence again
* CJI could form 3 same judge bench that heard Yakub Memon's petition
* SC to hear fresh plea at 2 AM
* Supreme Court registrar leaves CJI's residence
* Registrar will inform CJI on Yaqub Memon's new plea
* Supreme Court registrar reaches CJI HL Dattu's residence
The petition pleaded that an order should be passed that the authorities should give him at least 14 days time for execution after the rejection of his mercy petition as per the apex court's guidelines.
Lawyers registered the plea in registry at Chief Justice HL Dattu's residence. They will then try to mention it before CJI.
Eminent lawyer Prashant Bhushan also reached Chief Justice HL Dattu's residence. Bhushan is one of the people who were against the death sentence of Yakub Memon.
Earlier, President had rejected mercy petition of Yakub Memon.