New Delhi: A day before the four convicts in the December 16 gangrape case are to be sentenced by court, Delhi BJP yesterday accused the city government of doing “nothing” to ensure safety of women in the city even after massive public protest following the brutal assault.
Demanding capital punishment to the all the four convicts in the case, Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel said the city government had promised a number of measures but did nothing to improve security for women.
“The incumbent government has transformed the city into the rape capital, with little or not safety being provided to women of Delhi as promised after the unfortunate incident, “ Goel said.
“It is ironical that in spite of the reprehensible incident of December 16 last year, the cases of rape have increased in Delhi by 240 per cent and molestation by 495 per cent this year. The government of the day has only done window dressing as far as safety of women is concerned,” he said. He said following the gangrape, the Delhi government had promised to install CCTV cameras, GPS devices in all the city buses besides proposing to deploy security personnel in these buses.
“But nothing much seems to have happened on the ground.
The public transport in Delhi thus remains unsafe.” Slamming the Delhi Government, he said the “harsh reality” is that Delhi continues to be unsafe for women and is becoming increasingly unsafe day by day. “The city government has completely failed in ensuring security for women in Delhi after making tall claims of reforms in safety laws,” he said.
A fast track court, which has convicted four persons in the December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case, has fixed Friday for pronouncing the quantum of sentence to be awarded to them. The Delhi Police sought death penalty for the four for brutally gangraping and murdering a defenceless 23-year-old girl in a cold blooded manner.