After more than 24 years, most of the accused in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, except for those believed to be absconding in Pakistan, have been punished by the TADA court. While Yakub Menon, one of the main accused, was hanged on July 30, 2015, the TADA court today sentenced Abu Salem and Karimullah Khan to life in this case. The court also awarded death sentence to M Tahir Merchant and Firoz Khan while Riyaz Siddiqui got 10 years of imprisonment in this case. Mustafa Dause, one of the convicts, died of heart attack in June this year before his quantum of punishment could be pronounced.
On 12 March 1993, 12 coordinated blasts rocked Mumbai, killing 257 people and injuring over 700. The lone convict on death row in the case Yakub Abdul Razak Memon was hanged on July 30, 2015 after the Supreme Court rejected his petition seeking stay of execution.
Several conspirators and masterminds of the worst terror attack on the country including underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, his right hand man Chhota Shakeel and Memon's elder brother Tiger Memon are still absconding and are believed to be sheltered in Pakistan.
Following is the chronology of events in 1993 Mumbai serial blast case:
* Mar 12, 1993: A series of 12 explosions rock Mumbai resulting in 257 fatalities and injuries to 713 others.
* Apr 19: Actor Sanjay Dutt (accused number 117) arrested.
* Nov 4 : Over 10,000 page-long primary charge sheet filed against 189 accused, including Dutt.
* Nov 19: Case handed over to CBI.
* Apr 1, 1994: TADA court shifted from city's sessions and civil court to a separate building inside the premises of the Arthur Road Central Jail.
* Apr 10, 1995: 26 accused discharged by the TADA court. Charges framed against the remaining accused. Supreme Court discharges two more accused travel agent Abu Asim Azmi (now Samajwadi Party Member of Parliament) and Amjed Meher Baux.
* Apr 19: Trial commences.
* Apr-June: Charges framed against the accused.* June 30: Two accused, Mohammed Jameel and Usman Jhankanan, turn approvers in the case.
* Oct 14: Dutt granted bail by the Supreme Court.
* Mar 23, 1996: Judge J N Patel transfered and elevated as a high court judge.
* Mar 29: P D Kode designated as a special TADA judge for the case.
* Oct 2000: Examination of 684 prosecution witnesses ends.
* Mar 9-July 18, 2001: Accused record their statements.
* Aug 9: Prosecution begins arguments.
* Oct 18: Prosecution completes arguments.
* Nov 9: Defence starts arguments.
* Aug 22, 2002: Defence closes arguments.
* Feb 20, 2003: Dawood gang member Ejaz Pathan produced in court.
* Mar 20, 2003: Mustafa Dossa's remand proceedings and trial separated.
* Sept 2003: Trial ends. Court reserves Judgement.
* June 13, 2006: Gangster Abu Salem's trial separated.
* Aug 10: Judge P D Kode says judgement will be pronounced on September 12.
* Sept 12: Court starts delivering the judgement, pronounces four members of the Memon family guilty, acquits three. 12 convicts awarded death penalty while 20 were given life sentence.
* Nov 1, 2011: SC begins hearing on appeals filed by the 100 convicts as well as the state.
* Aug 29, 2012: SC reserves its order on the appeals.
* Mar 21, 2013: SC upholds death sentence of convict Yakub Memon, brother of Tiger Memon, and commutes death sentence of 10 convicts to life term. Life imprisonment of 16 out of 18 convicts also upheld.
* May 2014: President Pranab Mukherjee rejects Yakub's mercy plea.
* Jun 2, 2014: SC stays Memon's execution on plea seeking review petitions in death cases to be heard in open court instead of chambers.
* Apr 9, 2015: SC dismisses Memon's petition seeking review of death sentence which was upheld by apex court.
* Jul 21, 2015: SC rejects Memon's curative petition, the last legal remedy to avoid execution of death sentence.
* Jul 21, 2015: Hours after SC rejects Memon's petition, he files mercy plea to Maharashtra Governor.
* Jul 23, 2015: Memon's moves SC with a petition seeking stay on his execution scheduled for July 30.
* Jul 29, 2015: Supreme Court rejects Memon's plea for staying execution, upholds dismissal of curative petition.
* Jul 29, 2015: He files fresh mercy plea to President.
* Jul 29, 2015: Maharashtra Governor rejects mercy plea, President also turns it down.
* July 30, 2015: Memon files fresh petition before Supreme Court seeking stay on execution. SC rejects it in the wee hours.
* July 30, 2015: Memon is hanged.
* Dec 07, 2015 – The court ends recording of the statement of the (seven) accused and starts hearing final arguments in the case.
* Jun 08, 2016 – Court rejects plea of accused Firoz Abdul Rashid in which he said that he wants to become an approver.
* Jun 16, 2017- TADA court in Mumbai convicts six accused including Dossa and Salem in second leg of trial in the blasts case; acquits one.
* Jun 28, 2017 - Mustafa Dausa dies of heart attack in Mumbai's JJ Hospital. He was admitted to the hospital after complaining of chest pain.
* Sep 09, 2017 - TADA court gives life term to Abu Salem and Karimullah Khan, M Tahir Merchant and Firoz Khan awarded death sentence, Riyaz Siddiqui gets 10 years of imprisonment