Former Congress leader Sajjan Kumar on Monday surrendered before a Delhi court to serve life sentence in connection with a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which he was convicted by the Delhi High Court.
Meanwhile, former MLAs Kishan Khokhar and Mahender Yadav, who were convicted in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case along with Sajjan Kumar, also surrendered before a Delhi court to serve a 10-yr jail term.
The following is the chronology of events in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case:
- Oct 31, 1984: The then PM Indira Gandhi shot dead by her two Sikh body guards at her residence.
- Nov 1-2: The riots broken out in the city after the assassination.Mob kills five Sikhs in Raj Nagar area of Delhi Cantonment.
- May, 2000: Girish Thakorlal Nanavati Commission set up to probe riots related cases.
- Dec 2002: Sessions court acquits Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in one of the cases.
- Oct 24, 2005: CBI registers another case on recommendation of GT Nanavati Commission.
- Feb 1, 2010: Trial court issues summons against Kumar, Balwan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Captain Bagmal, Girdhari Lal, Krishan Khokkar, late Maha Singh and Santosh Rani, named as accused.
- May 24: Trial court frames charges of murder, dacoity, mischief to cause damage to property, promoting enmity between different communities, criminal conspiracy and other sections of the IPC against six accused.
- Apr 30, 2013: Court acquits Kumar. Balwan Khokhar, Lal, Bhagmal held guilty for offence of murder, Yadav, Krishan Khokhar convicted for offence of rioting.
- May 9: Court awards life term to Khokhar, Bhagmal and Lal, and 3-year jail term to Yadav and Kishan Khokhar.
- Jul 19: CBI files appeal in HC against acquittal of Kumar.
- Jul 22: HC issues notice to Kumar on CBI's plea.
- Oct 29, 2018: HC reserves verdict.
- Dec 17: HC convicts and sentences Kumar to remainder of his life. It also upheld life term of Khokhar, Bhagmal and Lal. Sentence of Yadav and Kishan Khokar enhanced to 10 years in jail.
-Dec 20: Kumar moves HC seeking time till Jan 30 to surrender .
-Dec 21: HC dismisses Kumar's plea.
-Dec 22: Kumar moves SC against his conviction and life term.