1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. Technology News
  4. President Donald Trump declares national emergency over cyber threats

President Donald Trump declares national emergency over cyber threats

President Trump declares national emergency in the US to protect the communications network from "foreign adversaries".

India TV Tech Desk India TV Tech Desk
New Delhi Updated on: May 16, 2019 13:56 IST
Representative News Image
Image Source : PIXABAY/GERALT

President Donald Trump declares national emergency over cyber threats

President Donald Trump declared a national emergency on Wednesday with a motive to protect the US communications network from "foreign adversaries".

Also, read: Xiaomi Redmi K20 flagship smartphone with Snapdragon 855 set to launch in India soon

The White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement that the executive order gives the federal government powers to restrict US companies from doing business transactions with certain foreign tech suppliers that pose an unacceptable risk to the national security.

President Trump signed an executive order as "part of his commitment to protecting the information and communications technology and services" of the US.

The White House said in a statement, "The President has made it clear that this Administration will do what it takes to keep America safe and prosperous, and to protect America from foreign adversaries who are actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology infrastructure and services in the United States".

It added, "This Executive Order declares a national emergency with respect to the threats against information and communications technology and services in the United States and delegates authority to the Secretary of Commerce to prohibit transactions posing an unacceptable risk to the national security".

This could be directly related to the Chinese telecom major Huawei that according to the US could be using its equipment for surveillance.

China, on the other hand, has rubbished the allegation made by the US. President Trump last year had signed a bill that barred the US government and its contractors from using components from Huawei and other Chinese communications companies.

(With IANS inputs)

Also, read: Realme X with 6.53-inch FHD+ AMOLED display, Snapdragon 710 SoC and 48MP rear camera announced

India TV Election Day Counting
modi-on-india-tv