Instagram Direct allows users to do video chat with friends and family, but now the company has bought up an ability to add people in an ongoing video chat in Direct. All one needs to do is swipe up while chatting that will let users add more friends, during an existing conversation. This feature comes after Instagram added the audio message feature to the Direct platform.
WhatsApp too supports a similar feature, wherein users can add friends, but it is limited to four people on WhatsApp, unlike Instagram Direct.
Tips on how to add friends to ongoing video chat in Direct Messages
- To start a video chat, one needs to swipe from right to Direct inbox.
- Once done, open the message thread.
- Now tap on the new camera icon that is present in the right corner that will initiate a video chat with friends.
- For multitasking, users can minimize the video tab and browse through the feed.
- A user can start a video chat with four people and can expand it by adding more friends.
- In order to add more friends, simply swipe up while chatting.
Now you can add people to an ongoing video chat in Direct. Just swipe up while you're chatting to add more friends and keep the conversation going. pic.twitter.com/is1Zyqjrr3— Instagram (@instagram) December 17, 2018
Note that if there is an active video chat in a group thread the camera icon will turn blue. One can also mute a person in case you don't want to receive notifications from them.