Google has now added support for auto rickshaws in Delhi on Google Maps, which will help customers that rely on this form of public transport. People who use Google Maps on Android will now see a new public transport mode called auto rickshaw.
By selecting auto rickshaw as their mode of transport, people will be able to view suggested routes for the ride as well as an estimate auto rickshaw fares. According to Google, this will make it easier for people to plan their trips by giving an estimate travel cost, as in most cities auto rickshaws rarely go by fixed rates.
One can find this new feature within the ‘public transport and ‘cab’ modes in Google Maps and the expected trip route, as well as the official fare model, is based on the details shared by Delhi Traffic Police.
This feature is up on Android devices and to use this feature one needs to update their app to the latest version of Google Maps (v.10.6) to use this feature. No details are out for this feature on iOS.
Tips on how to check for auto rickshaw in Google Maps
- The first step is to update the Google Maps to version v.10.6.
- Now open Google Maps and search for the destination like you normally would.
- Tap on the directions and go to the public transport tab.
- You will see the auto rickshaw result in the 'also consider' section.
- Tapping on the auto rickshaw icon will let users see the estimated price of the route and the traffic information as well.
- Tap on the ‘Navigate’ option to start your journey.
There are no updates about this feature for other cities in India like Mumbai, Chennai, Pune etc, where auto rickshaws are the popular mode of transport.
(With IANS inputs)