Jakarta: At least 16 people were killed and one severely burnt by the hot ash that erupted from Mount Sinabung volcano in North Sumatra in Indonesia, officials said Wednesday.
About 200 rescuers will continue their search for survivors in Sukameriah village located in the danger zone, where they have seen some victims, said national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.
"It is possible that some victims are still there in Sukameriah village located three km from the crater," Sutopo told Xinhua.
"The rescuers are heading to Sukameriah village now to check whether any villager is still trapped there or is already dead," said an official in-charge of media at an evacuation centre.
The rescue operation was stopped Tuesday due to the danger from the hot ash as the rumbling volcano erupted four times, said Sutopo, adding that seismic activity remains high.
The 2,475-metre high Mount Sinabung volcano in Karo district erupted in 2010 killing two people and catching scientists off guard as it had been dormant for 400 years.
There have been on and off eruptions since Mount Sinabung became active in September 2013.