Meerut, Jul 4: 35-year-old Kuldip had never thought in his worst nightmare that an inverter he had bought four months ago to beat the frequent powercuts would take away not only his life, but the lives of his wife and eight-year-old son.
A resident of Brahmapuri Master Colony, Kuldip, his wife Payal and son Tushar were deep in sleep on early Monday morning, when the inverter suddenly exploded.
Says a neighbour Rakesh Kumar, the inverter burst and things inside the room caught fire engulfing all three. "The flames went up to the first floor", he said.
The mishap took place in Gali No.7. Kuldip was living as a tenant inside the house.
By the time Fire Brigade tenders reached the spot after persistent calls, the fire had completely gutted the room.
Kuldip, his wife and son were rushed to the district hospital, where they were declared brought dead.
Alok Kumar, Station House Officer of Brahmapuri said, portions of the burnt battery have been sent for forensic examination to determine the exact cause of blast.