New Delhi, June 19: The Defence Ministry has handed over pictures to Ministry of External Affairs which would help it substantiate charges that it was PNS Babur which had indulged in “risky and dangerous” manoeuvres against INS Godavari that would have jeopardised the safety of its crew.
Sources said the Defence Ministry has handed over pictures of the incident which would help it prove that it was PNS Babur that had flouted relevant regulations on navigational safety by indulging in “risky” manoeuvres.
India had lodged the protest yesterday through the High Commission of Pakistan in New Delhi. The Ministry of External Affairs in a statement had said the Naval Advisor of Pakistan High Commission was summoned by the Ministry of Defence and “our serious concern on this incident was conveyed”.
An Indian Navy official said, “Reports of aggression by INS Godavari are incorrect and based on misinformation.” Some Indian and Pakistan nationals were on board MV Suez.
The war of words erupted just days ahead of the talks between the Foreign Secretaries of India and Pakistan in Islamabad on June 24-25.
Pakistan had lodged a protest earlier with the Indian High Commission in Islamabad over what it alleged were dangerous manoeuvres by INS Godavari which “brushed” its frigate escorting MV Suez, a Egyptian-owned vessel released by Somali pirates earlier this week after over USD two million ransom was paid for its 22-member crew including six Indians and four Pakistanis.
Pakistan also called the alleged incident on Thursday as serious. PTI