Mathura, Mar 27: Jats in Uttar Pradesh today decided to suspend their pro-quota stir for the next six months, a day after their Haryana counterparts called off the three week long agitation which had caused massive disruption of rail traffic in northern India.
The decision was taken by a Panchayat of Jats chaired at Kafurpur near J P Nagar by Akhil Bhartiya Jat Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti President Yashpal Mullick.
The agitation, demanding reservation for Jats in central government jobs under the OBC category, was suspended in response to the assurance from the Centre that a decision on the demand would be taken within six months, Vice President of the outfit Colonel Vikram Singh, who attended the Panchayat, told PTI.
The assurance had been given by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Social Justice Minister Mukul Vasnik to a delegation of Jat leaders in New Delhi recently.
“The core committee of the Samiti would meet on April 10 to decide the dates of Chetna Yatra to be taken out sometime next month to create awareness among Jats and to apprise with the details of the agitation that ultimately has given the result in our favour,” Singh said.
Earlier in the day, members of the community had decided to block supply of essential commodities including milk, vegetables and fruits to Delhi from tomorrow, prompting authorities to beef up security and promulgate prohibitory orders foil any attempt by them to disrupt rail and road traffic.
The Jat agitation had paralysed rail traffic in many parts of north India for over a fortnight as community members had been sitting on dharna on the tracks at various places in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. PTI