A day after Pakistan, in a rare admission, said that seven of its soldiers were killed in cross-border firing by Indian troops in Bhimber sector of the LoC, Indian security officers said that they are responding "in a punitive manner" to each and every ceasefire violation by the neighbouring country.
"Seven soldiers embraced 'shahadat' at the LoC in Bhimber sector in cross-fire LoC violation by Indian troops,” the Pakistan army's media wing claimed.
However, Indian officials rejected the contention and said: "Our forces only respond when Pakistani troops first violate the ceasefire. But we respond with the aim to achieve maximum impact, give a befitting reply at a time and place of our choosing."
"Moreover, we don't hide our casualties. We have lost 10 Army soldiers and four BSF personnel in cross-border firing since September. Pakistan has lost many more soldiers, and is now being forced to acknowledge its casualties for the first time," said a senior officer.
Indian officers also maintained the fact that they are not targeting civilians across the border.
Since India carried out surgical strikes in Pakistan on September 29, cross-border firing has escalated significantly. Pakistan had been firing 120 mm heavy mortars to target Indian civilian areas, to which India had responded strongly.
Islamabad, however, denied that Indian troops crossed into Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir to target areas used to gather terrorists.
The cross-border raids took place days after Pakistani terrorists attacked an army base in Uri in Kashmir, leaving 19 soldiers dead.
Meanwhile, Pakistan once again resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation in the Pallanwala sector of Akhnoor in Jammu and Kashmir, this morning.
#FLASH: Ceasefire violation by Pakistan in Pallanwala sector of Akhnoor (J&K). More details awaited.— ANI (@ANI) November 15, 2016