With eradication of terrorism from Jammu and Kashmir being the focus of new Union Home Minister Amit Shah, the Centre has issued a list of top 10 terrorists operating in the state who need to be eliminated.
The list includes wanted terrorists of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), Hizbul Mujahideen and Al Badr based on inputs shared with the Ministry by Jammu and Kashmir Police, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Intelligence Bureau (IB).
The list was revised to update the Home Minister about the targets of security agencies in Jammu and Kashmir.
The update followed the June 1 meeting of the Home Minister with Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba, IB chief Rajiv Jain, RAW chief Anil Dhasmana and senior officials of the Home Ministry .
It is learnt that Amit Shah has directed the concerned officials in the Home Ministry and security agencies to continue with the zero-tolerance policy across the country.
In this direction, he has so far taken three meetings on internal security with special focus on Jammu and Kashmir.
He has been apprised on the situation in Jammu and Kashmir, particularly in border areas by the Jammu and Kashmir Affairs division which deals with counter-terrorism, the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act and coordination between ministries, including external affairs and defence.
Six of the top 10 militants named in the the list belong to Hizbul Mujahideen, two from JeM, and one each from LeT and Al Badr terrorist organisation.
Top 10 terrorists active in Jammu and Kashmir according to the list prepared by Home Ministry:
- Riyaz Naikoo alias Mohammed Bin Qasim - Chief Hizbul Mujahideen commander active in Shopian, Kashmir
- Wasim Ahmed alias Osama - LeTs commander
- Mohammad Asraf Khan - Hizbul Mujahideen's Anantnag district commander
- Mehraj-ud-Din - Baramulla district commander Hizbul
- Dr Saifulla - Srinagar
- Arshad-ul-Haq - Pulwama district commander (Hizbul)
- Ajaj Ahmad Malik - Kupwara district commander (Hizbul)
- Javed Matoo alias Faisal alias Shakib alias Musab - Divisional Commander of Al Badar in North Kashmir
- Zaheed Sheikh alias Omar Afghani (JeM)
- Hafiz Umar - Chief operational commander of JeM