1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India News
  4. Civilian, three LeT militants killed in fresh violence in Kashmir

Civilian, three LeT militants killed in fresh violence in Kashmir

An encounter broke out between security forces and holed up militants in south Kashmir's Anantnag district today.

India TV News Desk India TV News Desk
Srinagar Updated on: December 09, 2016 8:02 IST
File pic - Encounter between security forces, militants in Anantnag

A civilian was killed in one of the clashes that erupted between protesters and security forces in parts of Kashmir on Thursday following the death of three militants in a shootout.

According to police, Arif Amin Shah of Sangam village in south Kashmir was killed after a mob threw stones at security forces in a neighbourhood, some distance away from a village where three Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militants were killed in a six-hour gunfight.

A police official said that the slain militants were all Kashmiris and apparently belonged to southern Kashmir where widespread clashes erupted between security forces and civilians after news spread about the militants' deaths.

Some villagers tried to march towards the shootout site in Arwani village in Kulgam district. They threw stones at police contingents and paramilitary troopers.

The police said Shah was hit by a stray bullet but residents alleged he was killed in firing by the security forces. At least a dozen civilians were also injured. One of them was critical, the locals said.

Clashes also erupted at a dozen places in Anantnag and Kulgam -- the worst hit south Kashmir districts in the unrest triggered by the July 8 killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

In the wake of the unrest since then, some 100 persons died in the months of daily protests and shutdown, which was spearheaded by separatist leaders.

The situation in the valley had just started easing. Separatists on Wednesday relaxed for three days -- Saturday, Sunday and Monday -- their weekly protest calendar. But the protests in south Kashmir on Thursday brought back the memories of the violent days after Wani's killing.

Mobile, internet services suspended in south Kashmir 

Mobile phone and internet services were suspended in parts of south Kashmir to prevent rumours and leaking of details of the counter-insurgency operation through social media.

Although authorities did not formally confirm that the mobile phone operations were suspended, sources said that the action had been taken to check spread of rumours in the area.

LeT commander Abu Dujana, one of the most wanted militants in the state, was earlier rumoured to be among the gunmen holed up in the house that was targeted by the security forces.

Locals said he escaped from the hideout in Arwani village which lies close to Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti's ancestral Bijbehara town.

But security officials neither confirmed nor denied if he was among the militants who were trapped on Wednesday night.

The police said security forces surrounded the village following a tip-off.

"As security forces tightened the cordon, some gunshots were heard. But after that there was no exchange of fire," an officer said.

Latest India News

Fight against Coronavirus: Full coverage