The longest total lunar eclipse of the century or Chandra Grahan is about to happen on Friday night. It will be showcasing a blood moon over most of the Eastern Hemisphere. Coincidentally, Mars is also at its brightest, which will make two bright red objects visible in the sky. The lunar eclipse takes place during daylight hours for those in the Western Hemisphere. It happens only during a full moon, and this Chandra Grahan is very special for us because it’s also a blood moon. The moon will be perfectly in alignment with the Sun and the Earth today, with the moon on the opposite side of the Earth from the sun.
The first phase of Lunar Eclipse or Blood Moon will start from 11:54 pm IST on July 27. However, the total lunar eclipse will be visible from 1:00 am IST on July 28.
For complete details: Blood moon; date, time and its related myths
According to many cultures including ours, lunar eclipse is considered harmful for pregnant women. It is believed that it can harm the development of the baby growing inside the womb leading to birth-related defects or birthmarks. However, there is no scientific proof to validate this side-effect. The belief has been etched in the minds of the people since centuries. Therefore, the pregnant women are advised to stay indoors during the lunar eclipse or Chandra Grahan.
Here are some things that pregnant women are advised NOT to do during the lunar eclipse.
- Do not use knife or any sharp objects at the time of the lunar eclipse. It is believed to cause cleft lip or birthmarks in the unborn.
- Do not cook food during the lunar eclipse. Also, avoid eating and drink till the eclipse is over. This applies to everybody, not only the pregnant women.
- Avoid doing any work during the eclipse. Take as much rest as possible.
- Cover the windows with thick curtains to avoid the rays of the lunar eclipse entering the house.
- Take bath after eclipse is over.
According to the popular belief, pregnant women shouldn’t even drink water during Chandra Grahan. However, it is also advised not to go too long without food or water. It can cause dehydration especially during this eclipse as it’s falling during summers. It’s advised that if you’re pregnant then eat something before the eclipse starts so that you don’t have to starve yourself for long.