For most salaried individuals, the Employees' Provident Fund (EPF) forms the backbone of their savings needs. EPFO (Employees' Provident Fund Organisation) one of the World's largest Social Security Organisations allows 100 per cent withdrawal in case the subscriber is unemployed for two months or has retired. For ease of the employees, EPFO also gives an option of withdrawing PF partially. To apply for such withdrawal online, the subscriber must have an active UAN (Universal Account Number) and the mobile number used for activating the UAN number should be in working condition.
PF can be partially withdrawn in any of the following situations:
- PF money can be partially drawn for marriage: An EPFO member can withdraw up to 50 per cent of his share with interest from his EPF accumulation for the purpose of marriage of self/ daughter/son/ brother/sister. One needs to be an EPFO member for at least 7 years to apply for this advance. The member needs to give a declaration in form 31 for this purpose.
- PF money can be partially drawn for purchase of land or construction of a house: The member can partially withdraw from his employee provident fund for the purpose of purchasing a plot and constructing it. Withdrawal is allowed only after completing 5 years of service. Withdrawal for the purpose of purchasing a plot and constructing it can be done only once in the entire service tenure. 24 times of the monthly salary for purchasing a plot/36 times of the monthly salary for purchasing or constructing a house or the cost of the property or the total of employee’s and his employer’s share along with the interest amount (whichever is less) can be withdrawn.
- PF money can be partially drawn for education: Upto 50% of employee’s share of contribution to EPF can be drawn for the education of either himself or his children after class 10.
- PF money can be partially drawn for home renovation: The employee can partially withdraw funds from his EPF account for the purpose of renovation and reconstruction. The house should be held in his/her name or held jointly with the spouse. The employee must complete at least 5 years of total service. The member can withdraw 12 times his monthly salary from his Provident fund account.
- PF money can be partially drawn for repayment of home loans: For the purpose of repaying the home loan outstanding, the member is allowed to withdraw up to 90% of the corpus if the house is registered in his or her name or held jointly. However, to withdraw the amount, at least 3 years of service completion is required.
- PF money can be partially drawn one-year before retirement: A person can withdraw his or her entire provident fund corpus after completing 58 years of age. The employee is allowed to withdraw up to 90% of the provident fund balance.
- PF money can be partially drawn for medical purposes: An employee is allowed to withdraw employee’s share with interest or six times the monthly salary (whichever is lower) from the provident fund for the medical treatment purpose. It is applicable for medical treatments of self, spouse, children, and parents. There is no lock-in period or minimum service period for this type of withdrawal.
Here are the steps to Withdraw Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) online:
New study debunks Jobless growth theory, says around 6 lakh jobs created per month in formal sector in FY 2017-18
- Open the website epfindia.gov.in and sign in to the UAN Member Portal with your UAN and Password
- From the top menu bar, click on the ‘Online Services’ tab and select ‘Claim (Form-31, 19 & 10C)’ from the drop-down menu
- Member Details will be displayed on the screen. Enter the last 4 digits of your bank account and click on “Verify”
- Click on “Yes” to sign the certificate of undertaking and proceed further
- Now click on the “Proceed for Online Claim” option
- Select “PF Advance (Form 31)” to withdraw your funds online
- A fresh section of the form will be opened from where you have to select the “Purpose for which advance is required”, the amount required and the employee’s address
- Tick on the certification and submit your application
- You may have to submit scanned documents depending on the purpose for which you have filled the form
- Your employer has to approve your withdrawal request after which the money will be withdrawn from your EPF account and deposited in the bank account mentioned at the time of filling the withdrawal form.
(With Inputs from EPFO website)