New Delhi: It's been many months that superstar Aamir Khan sparked a nationwide debate when he expressed his opinion on intolerance. However, the controversy around it fails to fade away.
In his first detailed conversation after the controversy sparked, Khan has left no stone unturned to clarify his stand. During his interview with India TV's Editor-In-Chief Rajat Sharma on ‘Aap Ki Adalat', the ‘PK' star spoke about his statement, Bollywood's reaction to it, his tweet on actress Sunny Leone's ‘sexist' interview and how he never intended to offend anyone.
Here are excerpts from his interview for you:
1. It was obvious that Aamir would be questioned why he felt he should leave India when the country has showered immense love on him. To this Aamir said, “I cannot spend two weeks outside this country, leave forever. I never said India is intolerant.” The actor also pointed out that he doesn't own any property outside India. “Even for vacationing or anything else, whatever I have, I have in this country itself.”
2. Defending himself Aamir said his statement was blown out of proportion by media. “90% people didn't even see my interview and only believed what was shown to them. I request media to not exaggerate incidents and show it to the people.”
3. Aamir was the brand ambassador of ‘Incredible India' campaign for almost a decade but now megastar Amitabh Bachchan is the new one. On his appointment Big B had said that Aamir has damaged India's brand identity by his statement. To this Khan replied, “For me, my motherland is my mother, it cannot be a brand. It could be a brand for other people, but not to me. Till this date, I continue to be India's brand ambassador, even though the government may have discontinued me.”
4. Letting in on what was his wife Kiran Rao's feeling when she suggested they should leave the country, Aamir said, “Kiran is a mother, and it is obvious that she will be worried. Seeing so much violence around, I feel saddened and the same feeling drove Kiran to say it.” He added, “I told Kiran that whatever you are saying is completely wrong.”
5. On a lighter note, Aamir said he was scolded by Kiran when he returned from the award function where he made the intolerance remark. He told “She thought I discuss things of the household outside. She felt people are targeting her because of my statement.”
6. Commenting on Anupam Kher's reaction to his widely discussed opinion, Aamir laughed off saying, “Maybe Anupam thought I was speaking about his wife Kirron and not mine Kiran.” Keeping jokes apart he then went on, “Let me make this clear to you, neither did I ever want to leave India nor will I ever in future. This is my motherland; I was born and will breathe my last here.”