Stars come and go, but legends are the ones who stay. There are a number of people who set their foot in their industry, not every one of them survives long enough to see themselves transform into a legend. Sridevi is one of those celebrities who has carved herself eternally into the hearts of movie buffs. If we look back to the cinematic journey of this legendary actress, we’ll find not one but many movies which can be remembered as her best performances. There wasn’t a moment when she was below the mark of perfection. This year, Sridevi once again took the audience by surprise with ‘Mom’. After a gap of five years, she made a comeback in Bollywood and it was worth the wait. Today, the actress turns 54 and we can’t be more surprised but her ageless beauty and the fact that she’s growing old like a fine wine.
To mark her 54th birthday, let’s learn some lesser-known facts about the actress.
- Do you know what her full name is? Her name is Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan.
- She was the first female actor to have earned the tag of being a ‘Superstar’.
- At an age of four, she started her film career in Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan. She was also seen as a child artist in film, Julie.
- In 1978, she made her Bollywood debut with Solva Saavan.
- In 1997, she bagged all the ‘Best Actress Awards’ for her role in Judaai, which also featured Anil Kapoor and Urmila Matondkar. It was produced by Surinder Kapoor who is her husband, Boney Kapoor’s late father.
- Jaya Prada was considered to be her fierce competitor. According to IMDb, during the shoot of Maqsad, the two actresses couldn’t stand each other. Hence, Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra locked them two in a room in a hope to sort things between them. After two hours, the actresses were found sitting in distant corners of the room.
- For Indra Kumar’s Beta, Sridevi was the first choice. She declined the film as she already did a number of things with the actor. The role later went to Madhuri Dixit, which brought her the overnight success.
- Steven Spielberg wanted to cast her in Jurassic Park. But Sridevi was unwilling to lose her Bollywood projects for a Hollywood venture. Hence, she refused.
- She was also the first choice for Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Baazigar. Later on, the directors of the film changed their minds.
- Jeetendra and Sridevi were considered to be most bankable couple of the decade. Out of 16 movies they did together, 11 were superhit.
- In 2013, Government of India awarded Sridevi with the prestigious Padma Shri Award. She was also voted in India’s Greatest Actress in 100 years in a CNN-IBN national poll conducted on completion of 100 years of cinema.
For more entertainment updates, follow our Facebook page