Roger Federer, who recently clinched his 19th Grand Slam title at the Wimbledon, has confirmed that he is all set to make a return to Montreal with the next week's ATP event. The world number three, who has not been to Montreal since 2011, will play at the Rogers Cup - which will also mark the 35-year-old's first tune-up event for the US Open.
Ecstatic to make a return in Montreal, Federer said that 2017 season has been exciting so far and, therefore, he is looking forward to be back on the court.
"I'm happy to be coming back to Montreal, as I have not had the chance to play there for many years. This 2017 season has been very exciting and I am really looking forward to being back on the court," Federer said.
After remaining absent for almost six months in the second half of 2016, Federer has enjoyed a stellar year - clinching two Grand Slam titles besides also winning at the Indian Wells, Miami and Halle.
Federer will turn 36 this Tuesday and tournament director Eugene Lapierre, commenting on the Swiss star's return, said that he is hopeful to see fans giving a grand welcome to the player.
"We are celebrating today and the celebrations will continue over the next few days, especially since Federer will celebrate his birthday with us on August 8.I'm certain the Montreal fans will give him the welcome he deserves," Lapierre said.
Federer is looking to clinch his third crown in the Canadian event but the first in Montreal after winning in 2004 and 2006 in Toronto.
The men's event of the Rogers Cup will be held in Montreal from August 4 to 13 while the women's event is slated to take place in Toronto from August 5 to 13.