New Delhi, Mar 21: Declaring himself fit to resume cricketing activities after being ‘rested' because of injury, opener Virender Sehwag today said he missed not being in the dressing room when Sachin Tendulkar struck his landmark 100th international century last week.
“The rest period is over and I am set to train, and play in the IPL,” Sehwag said.
Sehwag's name not figuring in the Asia Cup squad had created a controversy after selection committee chief Krishnamachari Srikkanth failed to give a convincing answer.
While the chief selector insisted that Sehwag had been “rested” due to a sore shoulder after announcing the squad for the Asia Cup, the opener said he had back spasms and had opted for rest as per the physio's advice.
A long-time partner of Tendulkar at the top of the order, Sehwag was not there when the latter got to his 100th international ton during the Asia Cup match against Bangladesh in Mirpur last Friday.
“I missed being in the dressing room when Tendulkar scored that 100th century.”
Post the debacle in Australia, calls for senior players to retire are getting louder but Sehwag, himself 33, said nobody can force a cricketer to retire.
Rahul Dravid had recently announced his retirement from international cricket.
“I will continue to play as long as I am enjoying the game, contributing to the team, winning games for my country. Nobody can force a player to retire,” he said on the sidelines of promotional event during which the Delhi Daredevils website was launched.
“It's not like a job, government job where you have to retire at 60. A cricketer can retire at 30 or 60, it's upto the player. (Sanath) Jayasuriya played till 42,” he added.