1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Sports News
  4. Cricket News
  5. Kagiso Rabada appeals against ICC ban; Vernon Philander says Steve Smith also responsible

Kagiso Rabada appeals against ICC ban; Vernon Philander says Steve Smith also responsible

The Proteas pacer will remain under suspension unless the commissioner permits him to play in the third Test, which will commence from March 22 at Newlands, Cape Town.

Written by: India TV Sports Desk, New Delhi [ Published on: March 15, 2018 12:09 IST ]
Image Source : GETTY IMAGES Kagiso Rabada during a press conference

​South Africa pacer Kagiso Rabada has appealed to the ban that has ruled him out from the remainder of the Test series against rivals Australia, with two Test matches yet to go. The Proteas pacer was concieved guilty of 'inappropriate and deliberate physical contact with a player' after Rabada was seen leaning in his shoulder into the Australia skipper Steve Smith after dismissing the swashbuckler last week in the 2nd Test at Port Elizebeth.

The incident occurred during the second Test and the International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to ban the pacer from the remainder of the series, which has lifted his demerit points to a total of 8 which includes a ban of two-Test matches.

Rabada was found guilty of two charges,  misconduct for aggressive wicket celebrations in the second Test in Port Elizabeth.

Rabada's first offense, of intentionally bumping into Australia captain Steve Smith after dismissing him in the first innings, earned the young quick three demerit points and took him over a disciplinary threshold. That led to an automatic two-Test ban.

Despite of Rabada's heroics, the South African pacer might be in the stands watching the hosts go head to head with their rivals in the third Test of the four-match series. Rabada took 11 wickets in the Port Elizebeth Test, helping the Faf du Plessis led South Africa team to level the series 1-1.

"The ICC confirms that Kagiso Rabada has appealed against the level two breach following the incident with Steve Smith during the Port Elizabeth Test.

"We will now appoint a judicial commissioner at the earliest opportunity and hearing details will be confirmed in due course," the world cricket governing body said.

The Proteas pacer will remain under suspension unless the commissioner permits him to play in the third Test, which will commence from March 

22 at Newlands, Cape Town.

Part of the South Africa attacking unit, Vernon Philander had his say in the matter as he said the Australia skipper should bear some responsibility for the incident.

"Havent really seen the fotage of this incident but by the looks of this...Steve Smith gave KG the shoulder. He could have avoided any contact but to me he is just as guilty. Trying some football skills to get a penalty??? Pity he didnt dive to top it off," tweeted Philander.

India Tv - Philander later on deleted the tweet

Image Source : TWITTERPhilander later on deleted the tweet

The tweet was later on taken down by the pacer and said that his account got hacked.

Rabada is the fifth player to be punished by the ICC in the Test series between Australia and South Africa after David Warner, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh and Quinten de Kock have added their names on the demerit list.

Write a comment

Live Scorecard