New Delhi: The interview of the one of the Nirbhaya gang rape convicts Mukesh Singh by a British filmmaker has generated a huge controversy with Home Minister intervening and then Delhi police registering an FIR in the shooting of the interview. The police registered the case under Section 509 (outraging the modesty of women) and Section 504 (intentional insult to provoke breach of trust) of the Indian Penal code.
Delhi Police chief BS Bassi said, "We urge the Indian media not to show it. Police moving chief metropolitan magistrate's court today to seek restrain from airing of the show."
Earlier in the day, Home Minister Rajnath Singh took a strong exception to the whole episode and sought a detailed report from the Tihar jail chief on the whole issue. The interview was conducted inside the jail premises.
During the telephonic conversation, the Director General of Tihar prison Alok Kumar Verma briefed the Home Minister about the incident and the action taken so far, reported PTI.
Media reports said British filmmaker Leslee Udwin and the BBC were given permission to interview bus driver Mukesh Singh, who was awarded death sentence for the brutal rape and murder of a 23-year-old girl on December 16, 2012.
In the interview, Mukesh said the women who went out at night had only themselves to blame if they attracted the attention of gangs of male molesters.
"A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy," he had said.
Mukesh also said that had the girl and her friend not tried to fight back, the gang would not have inflicted the savage beating, which led to her death later.
Describing the killing as an "accident", he had said, "When being raped, she shouldn't fight back. She should just be silent and allow the rape. Then they'd have dropped her off after 'doing her', and only hit the boy."
With inputs from PTI