New Delhi: The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) on Monday directed the residents of the illegal flats in Worli's Campa Cola compound to hand over the keys to their flats to the civic body or face "legal action".
The residents in question have failed to hand over possession of their illegally-built flats despite orders of Supreme Court, MCGM said in a notice in Mumbai.
"As the period granted by Supreme Court has already expired, you are hereby once again called upon to quit and vacate the premises in your occupation/possession along with your belongings within 72 hours... and deliver peaceful possession to MCGM in order (that it may) carry out the directions of Supreme court," MCGM said.
It further said that the keys would be collected between 10.30 A.M. and 5 P.M. from June 10 to June 12 in the chamber of the Assistant Engineer of G Ward.
"In the event of the failure to hand over the keys along with physical possession, further legal action will be taken against you," the notice said. As many as 96 flats in the Campa Cola compound were built illegally in the early 1980s.
Meanwhile, giving residents a ray of hope, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said he was open to any solution within the ambit of law.
“I am open to any option or solution on the Campa Cola issue within the ambit of the Constitution and the law,” Chavan said in a statement late on Monday night.
The Supreme Court last week rejected a plea of residents to stay eviction until their curative petition is decided.
Earlier on Monday, Chavan had said the state government would not intervene. In the evening, he said, “In the present context there seems to be no solution within ambit of the law. I am open to discussion and deliberation on any option not in violation of the SC judgement.”