Mumbai, May 9 : The third edition of Sanjay Dutt's Munnabhai MBBS is finally back on track, says a media report. After almost five years since the sequel Lage Raho Munnabhai was released in 2006, the deal is now on.
Sanjay Dutt is back to reprise his role as Munnabhai and Arshad Warsi as Circuit. But all is still not well between producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra and Sanjay Dutt. The third edition Munnabhai Chale Amerika had been announced in 2007, and a teaser trailer was also released.
However, Chopra had put the project on backburner, first because the storyline of the film was similar to My Name is Khan and then for 3 Idiots. Then there was an apparent fall-out between him and Dutt when it was revealed that he was considering casting younger stars in the next instalment.
This apparently soured their long friendship and even led to creative differences between Chopra and director Rajkumar Hirani, who wanted to continue with the original hit jodi.
The report quotes a source: "Dutt was obviously upset as he'd always gone out of his way for Chopra whether it was Mission Kashmir or the Munnabhai series. It was he who had bailed out Chopra when the original choice for Munnabhai, Shah Rukh Khan had backed out."
And now according to insiders, it's only on Raju's behest that Dutt has agreed to do the film. "Dutt read the script only when Raju intervened."
Apparently Raju had refused to take on the film unless it starred Dutt. "Besides, they have realised that the audience cannot imagine anyone else as Munnabhai or Circuit. It was ridiculous for them to even have thought of a Munnabhai without Dutt," says an industry insider.