- The ones who will observe the Vat Savitri fast for their husbands will not lose them prematurely
- During the fast women should avoid using black, blue and white colours
- Vat Savitri Vrat is the most difficult fast
Vat Savitri Puja 2022: Vat Savitri Vrat is observed every year on the new moon day of Krishna Paksha. But this year this date is very important because after many years, Somvati Amavasya is also on May 30. It is being said that if you keep a vrat (fast), perform prayers, and do charity on Somvati Amavasya, it will give you good results. Vat Savitri Vrat is the most difficult fast that ladies observe for the long life of their husbands.
During Vat Savitri vrat, one needs to perform all the prayers religiously without fail to get better results. Let us know the story behind Vat Savitri's fast, how to worship and its significance.
Vat Savitri puja: Things that you need for performing prayers:
- A vase full of water
- Raw yarn
- Maroon thread
- Roli, sindoor, akshat
- Flowers, incense sticks, dhoop
- Bamboo basket and a bamboo fan
- Soaked chickpeas
Vat Savitri Vrat Prayer Method
- On this day, women who observe fast get up early in the morning, bathe themselves and dress up in clean clothes.
- They follow 16 steps to get ready, known as 16 shringaar.
- After getting ready, they take a fasting oath for doing Vat Savitri puja.
- After this, they go to worship the banyan tree during an auspicious time.
- First, they have to offer water to the tree roots and apply some Kumkum.
- They are supposed to light up the incense sticks and lamps at the time of worship and then offer sweets to the tree.
- On this day, before eating meals it is offered to the god.
- After this, they wrap the thread of raw cotton around the banyan tree.
- During these rounds, they pray to god for the good health of their husband.
- After all the prayers and worshipping, the story of Vat Savitri is heard.
Story of Vat Savitri Vrat
A lady named Savitri gets married to a man named Satyavan. Savitri starts living happily with her husband. But after some years Narad Rishi comes and tells her that her husband's age is very short. He will die in the next few days. After this, Savitri gets nervous and prays to Narad Muni for her husband’s long life. Narad Muni says that it is not possible. He mentions that, when her husband's health starts to deteriorate, she should go to the banyan tree.
A few days later, her husband's health started deteriorating and Savitri took her husband near the banyan tree, where her husband died. After some time, Yamraj came there and took the soul out of his body. He took the soul towards the south while Savitri watched everything. Savitri thought to herself that the life of an Indian woman is not complete without a husband. So Savitri started going after Yamraj.
Savitri followed Yamraj. When Yamraj saw that Savitri was following him. he asked her not to. So Savitri told Yamraj, wherever my husband goes, I will go with him. Savitri did not agree to stop following even after much persuasion. She kept on chasing Yamraj.
In the end, Yamraj asks Savitri to make a wish and stop following them from here. Savitri agrees to it and makes a wish of becoming a mother. Yamraj granted her wish. When Yamraj started walking after that, Savitri said, "Lord, how will I become a mother? You are taking my husband." Hearing this, Yamraj became happy and said to her, a husband who will have a wife as you will never have troubles in his life. He further said that on this day, the ones who will observe the Vat Savitri fast for their husbands will not lose them prematurely.
After saying this, Yamraj gives back Satyavan’s life. Since then the women of India recall the story of Vat Savitri fast on this day and pray with full devotion and faith.
If you are married and observing Vat Savitri fast, then you show to avoid this:
During the fast women should avoid using black, blue and white colours. By using them, you can do harm instead of profit because all these colours are not a sign of a married woman.
(This article is attributed to Pandit Manoj Kumar Mishra, Vastu Astrology Specialist)
Disclaimer - The views expressed in this article are those of the author. India TV does not confirm its veracity.The views expressed in this article are those of the author. India TV does not confirm its truthfulness.