Islamabad, Dec 3: Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has conveyed to her German counterpart Guido Westerwelle Pakistan's decision not to participate in the Bonn Conference on Afghanistan to protest against a cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
Khar informed Westerwelle of the Pakistan government's decision during a phone conversation last night. She told him the decision had been endorsed by the Parliamentary Committee on National Security Committee in its meeting yesterday.
She conveyed her appreciation for Germany's commitment to peace and stability in Afghanistan, which was demonstrated in its efforts to host the Bonn Conference.
Westerwelle thanked Khar for informing him of the Pakistan government's decision and said he looked forward to receiving her in Berlin soon.
Khar also received a phone call yesterday from her British counterpart William Hague.
She apprised Hague of Pakistan's concerns about “NATO/ISAF attacks in Pakistani territory” and the decision not to participate in the Bonn Conference.
Hague expressed Britain's “understanding of Pakistan's position”, said a statement from the Foreign Office.
Pakistan responded angrily to the NATO air strike on two of its military border posts a week ago by closing all NATO supply routes and asking the US to vacate Shamsi airbase, reportedly used by CIA-operated drones to carry out attacks in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan.