PMO dismisses Baru's claims as baseless and mischievous
New Delhi: The Prime Minister's Office today rubbished as “baseless and mischievous” the contention of former media adviser to PM Sanjaya Baru that PMO files were seen by Congress President Sonia Gandhi.“The statement being attributed
Pachauri said, “The commentary smacks of fiction and coloured views of a former adviser”.
The statement reiterated that “the question about comments of the former media adviser was raised by senior editors when they met the Prime Minister in October last year.
His answer was - “Do not believe all he is saying”.
The PMO statement came as opposition launched a scathing attack on Gandhi and the Prime Minister, citing the claims by Baru.
In his book, Baru has written, “Pulok, who was inducted into the Manmohan Singh PMO at the behest of Sonia Gandhi, had regular, almost daily, meetings with Sonia at which he was said to brief her on the key policy issues of the day and seek her instructions on important files to be cleared by the PM.
“Indeed, Pulok was the single most point of regular contact between PM and Sonia. He was also the PMO's main point of contact with the NAC, a high profile advisory body chaired by Sonia Gandhi, with social activists as members. It was sometimes dubbed the shadow cabinet.”
As the observations created a flutter, Baru said, “it was not a secret.” He said it was well known that Chatterjee was Sonia Gandhi's secretary when she was the leader of opposition and had also worked with the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation chaired by her.
“He was very much part of the family.... I was not witness to it, whether she physically saw the files. I knew she was consulted on issues and he was taking her concurrence,” said Baru, who had resigned from the PMO in 2008 while Chatterjee joined it in 2011.
Read all the Breaking News Live on indiatvnews.com and Get Latest English News & Updates from India
Advertisement
Advertisement
-
Punjab Bandh: What's open and what stays shut across state on August 21? Details inside
-
'Gen Z' woman in viral Ladakh video apologises to Army, says clip was old, remarks cast in bad light
-
Will SAD and BJP make alliance ahead of Punjab assembly polls? Harsimrat Kaur Badal drops big hint
-
'Think beyond today, build tomorrow's India': PM Modi's big message to top officials in key meeting
-
'Janata kar degi tukde-tukde': Jitan Ram Manjhi's explosive warning over Vande Mataram row
Top News
-
In and out in hours: Pakistan's ex-PM Imran Khan returns to jail after brief hospital checkup
-
Six Indians aboard cargo ship carrying Turkish military weapons hijacked off Somalia coast
-
Punjab Bandh: What's open and what stays shut across state on August 21? Details inside
-
India progress to top 8 of Women's Hockey World Cup after 0-0 draw against England
Advertisement
Advertisement