Live tv
  1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India
  4. Anti CAA-stir: 50 Jamia students detained during protests released; South Delhi turns battlefield

Anti CAA-stir: 50 Jamia students detained during protests released; South Delhi turns battlefield

The Delhi Traffic Police said that vehicular movement was closed from Okhla Underpass to Sarita Vihar due to the anti CAB protests. Vehicles coming from Badarpur and Ashram Chowk were diverted to alternative routes due to blockade. According to an eyewitness, protestors broke glasses of a cluster bus carrying passengers and set it on fire. However, no one was injured.

India TV News Desk Edited by: India TV News Desk
New Delhi Updated on: December 16, 2019 8:32 IST
Delhi protests
Image Source : PTI PHOTO

Anti CAA-stir: 50 students detained during Jamia protests released

As many as 50 students, who were detained during protests at the Jamia Millia Islamia University in Delhi on Sunday were released by police in the wee hours of Monday. According to a senior police officer, of the 50 students, 35 were released from the Kalkaji police station and 15 from the New Friends Colony police station. Earlier on Sunday night, the Delhi Minority Commission (DMC) issued a direction to the SHO of Kalkaji Police Station to release the "injured" Jamia students held there or take them for treatment at a reputed hospital without any delay.

The commission also directed the officer to file a compliance report by 3 pm on Monday. In the order, DMC Chairman Zafarul Islam Khan said failure to implement it will attract appropriate action.

Nearly 60 people including students, cops and firefighters were left injured as massive protests against the amended Citizenship Act broke out on Sunday. Protestors torched four public buses and two police vehicles as they clashed with police in New Friends' Colony near Jamia Millia. 

Police used batons and teargas shells to disperse the violent mob, but denied firing at them. However, videos of purported police firing, injured students in the university bathroom as well as footage of them bleeding emerged on social media.

The Delhi Police, however, refuted reports of any casualty during the clashes.

Following the arson on roads, police entered the Jamia university campus, where tension prevailed as several persons were detained for alleged involvement in the violence.

A Jamia students' body claimed they had nothing to do with the arson and "certain elements" had joined them during the protest and "disrupted" it. They also accused the police of high-handedness.

Students said many of their mates had to hide at the university library, where, they alleged, police entered and attacked them.

The police were even seen escorting students outside the campus with their hands in the air.

Entry, exit gates of all metro stations opened: DMRC

The entry and exit gates of all metro stations were opened and services had resumed at all stations, the DMRC said on Monday. In the wake of violence in southeast Delhi after a protest against the amended Citizenship Act, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) closed the gates of around 13 metro stations on Sunday evening, following advice from police.

"Security Update Entry & exit gates at all stations have been opened. Normal services have resumed in all stations," the DMRC said in a tweet on Monday. 

Protests by JNU students

Later in the evening, Jawaharlal Nehru University students held a protest outside the Police Headquarters in central Delhi against the police action at Jamia University and the standoff continued till late in the night.

Soon after the violence, Jamia Millia Islamia Chief Proctor Waseem Ahmed Khan claimed that the Delhi Police entered the campus without permission and beat up staff members and students.

Condemning the police action, university Vice-Chancellor Najma Akhtar said students who were inside the library have been moved out and they are safe.

Police said they entered the university campus only to control the volatile situation.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) Chinmoy Biswal said the protesters, numbering around 1,500, had gathered near New Friends' Colony and blocked the road. They refused to clear the area and when police tried to push them back, some of them indulged in arson around 3.30 pm.

Four buses and two police vehicles were torched and six police personnel and two firemen were injured, he said, adding some protestors had come prepared for arson.

Stones were pelted from inside the university campus and some people have been detained, he added but did not give details.

At least 60 injured people were taken to hospital for treatment, sources said.

Father George PA, director of Holy Family Hospital, said, "We received university students and also police personnel. Most of them have been discharged now."

He said three-four persons, including two police personnel, were admitted to the hospital.

"They got injuries on the head, maybe due to stone-pelting. None of them are critical. We are taking care of them," he said.

DMRC said it had closed gates of 13 metro stations, including GTB Nagar, Shivaji Stadium, Patel Chowk and Vishwavidyalaya due to the violence.

An eyewitness claimed that protestors took out petrol from a motorcycle and torched the vehicles. Some protesters, however, claimed police baton-charged them and used teargas shells when they were holding protest peacefully and the situation spiralled from there.

A Delhi Fire Services official said four fire-tenders were rushed to the spot. One of the buses was completely damaged, he said. Plumes of smoke billowed out of the torched buses.

The protest was being held against the contentious law which seeks to provide citizenship to non-Muslims religious minorities from three neighbouring countries who arrived in India to escape religious persecution.

According to Saimon Farooqui, the national secretary of Congress-affiliated National Students' Union of India, the protesters were sitting peacefully on Mathura Road when policemen tried to "trouble" a couple of protesters, who resisted.

Thereafter, the police lathi-charged the protesters and used teargas, he alleged.

The clash disrupted traffic in the area with several vehicles stranded on roads for hours.

Jamia teachers appeal to keep away from 'direction-less' protests

Meanwhile, Jamia Teachers' Association appealed to the students to keep away from such a "direction-less" protest led by "local political leaders".

Jamia students have been protesting against the legislation. However, on Saturday evening, they had called off their university lockdown and declared they would hold a peaceful protest.

After the violence this afternoon, a Jamia students' body issued a statement, saying, "We have time and again maintained that our protests are peaceful and nonviolent. We stand by this approach and condemn any party involved in the violence.

"We have maintained calm even when students have been lathi-charged and some women protestors badly beaten up. Violence by certain elements is an attempt to vilify and discredit genuine protests," the statement said.

Sources said the police entered the campus while chasing some "outsiders" who had indulged in vandalism and were trying to hide on the premises.

But the university chief proctor said, "Police entered the campus by force, no permission was taken. Staff members and students were beaten up and forced to leave the campus."

The vice-chancellor said university students were not involved in the violent protest.

"In the evening, when the agitation started, my students had not given a call for it," she said.

"...which university can have such a huge crowd. At least not my university. It was a Sunday and we had already declared winter vacation on Saturday so half of the students had already gone home," she said.

As tension prevailed in the area, the city government announced the closure of all schools in southeast Delhi.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said any kind of violence is unacceptable and protests should remain peaceful.

"No one shud indulge in violence. Any kind of violence is unacceptable. Protests shud remain peaceful," he tweeted.

BJP Delhi chief Manoj Tiwari, in a tweet, said that an AAP MLA was "provoking" the public and called Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal a "traitor".

"An AAP MLA is provoking people at the behest of Arvind Kejriwal. The Muslims of the country are with India and are not going to be influenced by traitors like you. Stop provoking people," he tweeted in Hindi.

However, Okhla MLA Amanatullah Khan, who was accused by the BJP of fuelling the violence denied the accusations. Police too said they had no found any role of the AAP MLA in the incident.

The Delhi Traffic Police said that vehicular movement was closed from Okhla Underpass to Sarita Vihar due to the agitation. Vehicles coming from Badarpur and Ashram Chowk were diverted to alternative routes due to blockade.

According to an eyewitness, protestors broke glasses of a cluster bus carrying passengers and set it on fire. However, no one was injured.

The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation closed entry and exit gates of 13 stations including the nearby Sukhdev Vihar due to the violent protest.

Several states in the northeast and West Bengal have been rocked by violent protests over the Act.

Also Read | Jamia Violence: Images that show what exactly was happening

Also Read | Anti-CAA stir: Uneasy calm prevails in Assam, protests erupt in Jamia and AMU​

Latest India News