Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday dedicated the world’s tallest statue, the 'Statue of Unity', to the nation, at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Gujarat. The 182-metre tall statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was thrown open for the public on his 143rd birth anniversary.
Lavishing praise on Patel for uniting over 500 princely states as India attained independence, Modi also made a pitch for the dream of 'One India, Superior India'. | In Pics: PM Modi inaugurates 'Statue of Unity'
"This (statue) is a source of unity...with this sentiment we should march...and march with a dream to make the country 'Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat' (One India, Superior India)," he said.
"The statue will remind those who question India's existence that this nation was, is and will remain eternal," the prime minister added.
Modi said his government was toiling in line with Patel's dreams to create a "strong, alert and inclusive India".
Here are top 10 quotes from PM Modi’s speech:
- Statue of Unity is symbol of country's engineering and technical capabilities.
- Sardar Patel's statue will remind those who question India's existence that this nation was, is and will remain eternal.
- Had Sardar Patel not united country, we would need visa to see lions or pay homage at Somnath or view Charminar in Hyderabad.
- Sardar Patel's statue will remind world about courage of man who thwarted attempts to disintegrate India.
- Patel had said infighting was the reason for India's subordination by foreign powers; never again will India make the same mistake and never will India again be enslaved.
- Kutch to Kohima and Kargil and Kanyakumari, if we can travel freely today, it is because of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel led the path for India, walking on which we are talking with the world on our own terms now.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was instrumental in giving women an active role in Indian politics.
- Crores of farmers converted the construction of Statue Of Unity to a peoples' movement.
- It was due to the round the clock effort of Sardar Patel that the map of India is what it is today.
The Statue of Unity, an architechtural marvel, is the tallest statue in the world and the quickest to be completed in just 33 months.
At 182 metres from the road entry and 208.5 metres from the river entry, the iconic statue is taller than the 153m Spring Temple Buddha in China and almost twice the height of the world-famous Statue of Liberty in New York.
WATCH: PM Modi unveils 'Statue of Unity'