Chhattisgarh government on Wednesday directed to suspend eight police personnel who were indicted by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for setting houses ablaze in Tadmetla area of south Bastar during an anti-Naxal operation in 2011.
"The DGP has issued directives for taking action of suspension and line attach as per the rules against the then eight special police officers (SPOs- now turned assistant constables) of Dantewada and Sukma districts who have been charge sheeted by CBI in connection with Tadmetla incident," an official statement said.
A letter in this regard has been issued to the superintendent of police of both, it said.
The statement was released late Wednesday evening.
According to a senior police official, CBI had filed its report in special CBI court here in the state capital last week in which it has charged SPOs with arson and causing grievous hurt for allegedly setting ablaze 160 houses of villagers during the anti-Naxalite operation in Sukma district (erstwhile Dantewada district) in March, 2011.
In another development, the state government has ordered a probe into the protest staged by assistant constables in Bastar on October 24 during which they burnt the effigies of some social activists and political leaders.
"Taking cognisance of the complaint that some police personnel and government employees burnt the effigies of the people associated with social organizations, an administrative enquiry has been ordered into it," the release said.
Bastar division commissioner has been assigned to probe this incident.
Assistant constables (auxiallary personnel), many in uniform, had staged protest on the streets in Bastar region, shouting slogans and burning the effigies of activists and political leaders.
During protest they said they were "angry" because they risk their lives every day to fight Naxals, but they had to face "allegations due to the naxal sympathisers".