The smoky cocktails are the recent additions to culinary trends. The young generation is so crazily obsessed with this new ‘dhuandaar’ cocktail that a 30-year-old man recently landed in a hospital after having this beverage. The word ‘Liquid Nitrogen’ started trending all over social media after the incident of a man getting a hole in his stomach after drinking a similar beverage. He had holes in his stomach, which led to the removal of some parts of his stomach and attached to the small intestines.
After a lot of buzz, people are wondering what in the world this ‘Liquid Nitrogen’ is? For those, who are pursuing their career in science probably know what this ghostly-looking substance is. But for those who don’t, here’s some help.
What is Liquid Nitrogen?
It is scientifically known as LN2 and is a coloured, odourless, non-inflammable gas. It is a cryogen, which means it is used to create extremely low temperatures. It has a low boiling point of -196 degree Celsius. The gas is so cold that it is capable of rapid freezing any living tissue coming in contact with it.
How and Why Liquid Nitrogen Used in Food?
Since past few years, liquid nitrogen is being extensively used by restaurants and food industries to prepare frozen desserts like ice creams, which can be created a moment before serving on the table. It cools any substance immediately. The rapidity of cooling is also responsible for smaller ice crystals which gives a smooth texture to the ice cream.
Recently, it is also being popular in preparing cocktails, as it can immediately chills glasses of ingredients. It also adds a smoking effect to the drink.
Is It Safe?
The liquid nitrogen is extremely low in temperature and hence requires careful handling. Special gloves are used while handling the gas. A small splash is not lethal, but at large quantities it can cause severe burns.
What Happens If You Ingest Liquid Nitrogen?
Liquid nitrogen is extremely lethal to be consumed internally. This is what happened to the 30-year-old Delhi man and a young woman in England. They ingested liquid nitrogen immediately which caused irreversible damaged to their stomach. So if you by chance get to drink liquid nitrogen cocktail, don’t be in haste. Wait for the smoke to subside. Then the drink is safe to consume.
For more Lifestlye news, Click here