Los Angeles, Apr 5: Pop diva Whitney Houston probably overdosed on cocaine before drowning in the bathtub of her hotel room where she was found submerged face-down, according to the final autopsy on her death.
Toxicology test results have already confirmed that Houston had cocaine in her system at the time of death and in its full report, the Los Angeles County Coroner's office said that an ashtray filled with cigarette butts and a “small spoon with a white crystal-like substance in it, and a rolled-up piece of white paper” was found on a counter of the bathroom.
Heart disease and cocaine use may have led to the “accidental death” of the 48-year-old singer.
The water in the tub was extremely hot and had left scalding marks on the singer's body, the autopsy said.
Houston was found by her personal assistant, who had last seen the singer alive on February 11 between 2:35 pm and 3 pm (local time), the Los Angeles Times reported quoting autopsy.
Houston had planned to take a bath before joining the pre-Grammy party thrown by her mentor producer Clive Davis.
Her assistant had left the singer to pick up some items.
When she returned and went into the bathroom, the singer was face-down and unresponsive in the tub, the report stated.
A bodyguard was called and the singer was pulled out of the bathtub before the assistant called 911.
Prescription drug bottles and a small plastic bag that had been ripped open was also found from the bathroom besides a portable mirror with more remnants of a white powdery substance.
Coroner's officials said they did not test the powder, as it was a job of the police.
Houston had a long history with drug addiction which cut short her musical career.
The coroner's office also found traces of several other drugs, including marijuana, the anti-anxiety medication Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril as well as Benadryl, in her system.