China's economy is 20 times bigger than it was two decades ago and is on track to surpass the United States' as the world's largest. But perhaps most startling has been the growth of China's ambitious and increasingly powerful military.
Just 10 years ago, the budget for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) was roughly $20 billion. Today, that number is more like $100 billion.
The People's Liberation Army (PLA) makes up the whole of China's military machine. The Ground Forces, Navy, Air Force, and Second Artillery Corps all fall under the PLA.
The PLA is the world's largest military, with more than 2.25 million active personnel.
Here's a look at many of the weapons that China's betting on to establish its new military might:
From Our Network
- Flipkart effect: IITs, IIMs to draft new guidelines for placements
- Watch: Here’s the incident when Arijit Singh miffed Salman Khan
- 10 hottest pictures of Poonam Pandey on Twitter!
- Arijit Singh speaks up on his tiff with Salman Khan, reveals what exactly happened
- Actress says her superstar husband abused her physically; manages to get restraining order