Australia skipper Steve Smith has refused to celebrate the likely absence of start England all-rounder Ben Stokes from the Ashes series.
Stokes was withdrawn from the Ashes squad in the wake of pending investigation into his alleged street brawl in Bristol last month.
The Test vice-captain was named in the England's original Ashes squad, despite injuring his hand in the incident that led to his arrest in Bristol on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm. Hales was with Stokes at that time.
- Eoin Morgan backs ODI stars to opt for Ashes over T20 leagues
- We are fortunate to have all-rounders in all formats, says Jonny Bairstow
- We can win the Ashes series without Ben Stokes, says Moeen Ali
- Australia's James Pattinson ruled out of Ashes series with back injury
- Ashes: Australia's history and pride is at stake against England, says David Warner
Though Stokes was released without charge, he remained under police investigation.
Choosing his words wisely on the issue, Smith admitted that Stokes is "one of the best players" in the world, but he could not condone the behaviour that led to the all-rounder being arrested for an altercation outside the Mbargo nightclub in Bristol.
"Whether he comes or not, that's out of our control. You always want to come up against the best and test your skills against the best. That's what Test cricket is all about. There's no doubt Ben Stokes is one of the best players around the world at the moment," ESPNcricinfo quoted Smith, as saying.
Smith, who played with Stokes for the Rising Pune Supergiants in this year's Indian Premier League (IPL), said that he hopes no Australian players ever found themselves in the same situation as Stokes.
"I certainly don't condone that kind of behaviour. Hopefully, it never happens to one of our boys," he added.
In the all-rounder's absence, Steven Finn was roped into the squad as Stokes' replacement for the full five-match Test series.
The much-awaited Ashes series will begin at the Gabba in Brisbane on November 23.
(With ANI Inputs).