Mumbai: The authorities would go ahead with hanging of The authorities would go ahead with hanging of Yakub Memon, the sole death-row convict of The authorities would go ahead with hanging of Yakub Memon, the sole death-row convict of , the sole death-row convict of 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, on July 30 as scheduled, highly placed sources said here today.
Memon, whose curative petition against the death sentence awarded by special TADA court was dismissed by the Supreme Court earlier this week, is lodged in NagpurCentral Jail.
When asked about Memon's fate, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today only said that he would make a statement on July 29.
"I will make a statement on the issue on July 29," Fadnavis told reporters here.
However, highly-placed government sources said the state authorities will go ahead with the execution on July 30.
As many as 257 persons were killed and over 700 injured in the serial blasts in Mumbai on March 12, 1993. Memon was the only convict whose death penalty was upheld by the apex court.
After his curative petition was dismissed, Memon has submitted a mercy petition to Maharashtra Governor. The President had earlier rejected his mercy petition.