The Cabinet had approved on September 24 the Ordinance which sought to negate the Supreme Court order of July 10 which ruled that any lawmaker would stand immediately disqualified if convicted by a court.
The overturning of the decision came in the wake of Rahul Gandhi's trashing of the Ordinance as “nonsense”. He had said it should be “torn” and “thrown out”.
"The decision of the cabinet was unanimous," Tewari told the media.
"In so far as the bill is concerned, it is the property of parliament," Tewari said. He added that at an appropriate time, it would be taken back.
Cabinet finally withdraws both ordinance and bill on convicted lawmakers
New Delhi: Reversing its earlier step, Cabinet today decided to withdraw the Ordinance as well as Bill that sought to give protection to convicted lawmakers in the wake of public outburst against it by Congress
Read all the Breaking News Live on indiatvnews.com and Get Latest English News & Updates from India and National Section
Advertisement
Advertisement
-
ED raids Punjab Minister Sanjeev Arora in money laundering probe, CM Bhagwant Mann targets BJP
-
Parliament Monsoon Session: Travesty to pass bills when no-confidence motion pending, says Congress
-
Amid Opposition's unity bid, BJP's counter-strategy of key inductions ahead of 2024 polls
-
Chirag Paswan to meet Amit Shah in Delhi, return to NDA on the cards?
-
On PM Modi's jibe at Patna meeting, TMC says 'It's you who is leading largest opposition party'
Top News
-
Five dead, 20 others hospitalised after consuming spurious liquor in Gujarat's Bhavnagar
-
India roar past Pakistan 5-3 in Hockey World Cup 2026, book top-8 spot in thrilling clash
-
Satyendar Jain, other accused sent to judicial custody a day after arrest in Jal Board case
-
US Ambassador Sergio Gor enjoys 'shikara' ride on Dal Lake in Srinagar | Watch
Advertisement
Advertisement