New Delhi, Aug 30: Opposition BJP MLAs were today marshalled out of the Delhi Assembly after they disrupted the proceedings and trooped into the well of the House repeatedly demanding a discussion on CAG indictment of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for alleged irregularities in certain CWG projects.
From the word go, it was trouble in the House with BJP MLAs shouting slogans against Dikshit and Delhi government alleging irregularities in CWG projects and demanding a detailed discussion on the report by the auditor.
As the unrelenting BJP MLAs trooped into the well of the House and kept on sloganeering, Speaker Yoganand Shastri adjourned the House for 20 minutes. But when they continued the ruckus after the House resumed proceedings after the adjournment, the speaker ordered their eviction for the day.
Later, a combative Dikshit, made a statement in the House, severely criticising the BJP MLAs for their conduct and accusing them of spreading “half truths” while claiming that the CAG never indicted her in its report. Strongly rejecting allegations of wrongdoings, Dikshit pointed finger at Leader of Opposition V K Malhotra's role in the CWG Organising Committee as its vice chairman and said the Cabinet had taken all decisions relating to policy matters while she had instructed officials to strictly follow procedures and rules while deciding on tenders.
Washing her hands off any alleged wrongdoings in award of contracts or in tender process for Games projects, she said various technical committees having officials and experts were set up to take decisions on such issues. To emphasise the point, she also referred to a letter she sent to Special Advisor of Commonwealth Games R Narayanaswamy in March 2008 asking him follow laid down procedures while finalising contracts.
Dikshit said even the then Chief Secretary and the Advisor of CWG were communicated in black and white in March 2008 that the award of contract and tendering was to be done by the engineers and senior officers and the Cabinet had nothing to do with it.
“I had sent a letter to them in March 2008 to instruct officers to take proper decisions on tenders while following laid down norms and procedures,” she said.
Referring to a press conference by Deputy CAG Rekha Gupta on August 5, Dikshit said the official had made it very clear that the auditor never indicted the Chief Minister. “The Opposition has been misguiding people by running a rumour mill as it is facing a lot of frustration due to consecutive defeats in the last three Assembly and two Lok Sabha elections. They are using ugly words. The allegations are not based on facts and truth,” she said. Pointing finger at Malhotra, she said he had been associated with the Organising Committee as its Vice-Chairman and he is “as responsible as Suresh Kalmadi” for all the wrongdoings.
“Why he has not been making clear of his involvement in OC's affairs? Why BJP is silent on the role of MCD during the games,” she said.
Dikshit also referred to a pamphlet distributed by the Opposition in the Assembly which includes 10 points which are directly related to the Organising Committee.
When asked to react, Malhotra lambasted Dikshit for trying to drag his name and said not a single word has been written against him by either Shunglu Committee or the CAG. On opposition's demand for discussion on CAG report, Dikshit said it was lying with the PAC, constituted by Parliament and till the body brings out any doubt or questionnaire, the Delhi government will not comment on it. PTI