Prime Minister Narendra Modi today offered several litres of milk, Ganga jal and flowers at the fabled Kashi Vishwanath temple and performed aarti at the sanctum sanctorum during a break in his road show.
Blaming Akhilesh Yadav for "sleeping over" the demand for justice by a "beti" in the rape case against Gayatri Prajapati, PM Modi today said the voters in Uttar Pradesh have got an opportunity to perform the "pind daan" (last rites) of their "tormentors".
He also said that unlike the BJP, its opponents believed in "kuch ka saath, kuch ka hi vikas (with a few, development of a few)".
"In this country, when we do something good, we chant the Gayatri Mantra. But, the SP-Congress alliance is chanting the Gayatri Prajapati Mantra.
"A case has been lodged against him (but) the chief minister went to campaign for him while he (Gayatri) was
present there...Now, the police cannot trace him," Modi told an election rally here.
"A daughter is seeking justice and the chief minister is shielding the gunehgaar (guilty)...What bigger blot can there be than this that in Uttar Pradesh, when a buffalo goes missing, the government runs to find it.
"But, a girl is crying for justice and the police and chief minister are sleeping...Such a government needs to be punished," he added.
* They got angry when I said 'Karname are speaking & not Kaam' so I decided to verify again by searching on the UP govt websites: PM Modi
* Loans of small farmers will be waived off in the first cabinet meeting after BJP comes to power in UP: PM Modi
* SP government wasted development funds given by Centre
* For 40 years our forces demanded OROP but nothing happened. I had promised a BJP Govt will deliver on OROP&we did: PM Modi
* Those who question surgical strikes come to Jaunpur & ask the families of martyrs. Why politicise issues of national security: PM Modi
* PM Narendra Modi addresses rally in Jaunpur
* Road show proceeds towards Kaal Bhairav temple
* PM Modi offers prayers at Kashi Vishwanath temple
* PM Modi to offer prayers at the Kashi Vishwanath temple and Kaal Bhairab temple shortly
* Supporters raise slogans 'Har har Modi, Ghar ghar Modi'
* The black SUV carrying PM Modi arrives at the BHU main gate. The PM will now garland the statue of Madan Mohan Malviya.
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches Babatpur airport
The Prime Minister is expected to hold two more election meetings here, one each on Sunday and Monday.
Top leaders of the party and Union Ministers have been camping in the city to galvanize public support in favour of the BJP, which is aiming at a revival in the state where it had been in decline for more than a decade before making a dramatic comeback in the 2014 general elections when it won a stunning 71 Lok Sabha seats in UP, its best-ever performance till date.
Varanasi and neighbouring districts will go to the polls in the final phase on March 8. Results will be declared on March 11.