New Delhi: Batting legend Sachin Tendulkar on Thursday called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and apprised him about his contribution to the 'Swachh Bharat initiative' campaign.
The 41-year-old iconic cricketer was one of the nine people chosen by the Prime Minister for his initiative, which he had launched on Mahatma Gandhi's birth anniversary on October 2.
Tendulkar, who was accompanied by his wife Anjali, told the Prime Minister that he had extended the "chain" by inviting more people to participate in the campaign.
"The legendary cricketer also shared the idea of adopting a village under the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana with the Prime Minister, besides expressing his keenness to work towards development of sports in schools and colleges," an official release said.
Modi had last week complimented Tendulkar after he took up broomsticks, spade and mattock to collect garbage strewn along the way in a filthy locality in his home town, Mumbai, along with his friends.
Bharat Ratna awardee Tendulkar had urged fellow sportspersons to join Modi's 'Swach Bharat Abhiyan' and posted on a social networking site a video displaying his efforts to clean the locality "dumped with litter and garbage".
"Swachh Bharat Hi Sach Bharat Hai! The story of Stinky Path to Footpath on film," he wrote on his twitter account.