Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday announced that the government has decided to repeal the three farm laws. Addressing the nation on the occasion of the Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Nanak Dev, PM Modi said that in the coming Parliament session, the government will take constitutional measures to repeal these farm laws. The Winter Session of Parliament will begin on November 29.
Here are top quotes from PM Narendra Modi's address:
- We have decided to repeal three farm laws, the Prime Minister said and appealed to protesting farmers to call off their agitation and return to their homes.
- The goal of laws was to empower farmers, especially small farmers. Maybe something was lacking in our tapasya, which is why we could not convince some farmers about the laws.
- The Prime Minister also highlighted the NDA government's measures to benefit small farmers. He said that the government is committed to the welfare of farmers, adding that the government has brought several welfare schemes for small farmers.
- The NDA government's agri budget has increased five times and that the rural infrastructure market has strengthened in the last six years and as a result, overall agricultural production has increased in the country. The agriculture budget has risen by five times with over Rs 1.25 lakh crore being spent annually.
- I have experienced farmers' difficulties, challenges from very close quarters in my five decades of public life. To ensure that farmers get the right amount for their hard work, many steps were taken. We strengthened the rural infrastructure market. We not only increased MSP but also set up record govt procurement centres. Procurement by our govt broke the record of past several decades.
- We worked to providing farmers with seeds at reasonable rates and facilities like micro-irrigation, 22 crore soil health cards. Such factors have contributed to increased agriculture production. We strengthened Fasal Bima Yojana, brought more farmers under it
- Whatever I did, I did for farmers. What I'm doing, is for the country. With your blessings, I never left out anything in my hard work. Today I assure you that I'll now work even harder, so that your dreams, nation's dreams can be realised.