Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday inaugurated the country's first seaplane service between the Statue of Unity site at Kevadiya Colony to the Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, marking the 145th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. He also participated in the Rashtriya Ekta Divas Parade. The police forces of Gujarat Police, Central Reserved Armed Forces, the Border Security Force, the Indo Tibetan Border Police, the Central Industrial Security Force and the National Security Guards participated in the parade. Modi also interacted with more than 400 trainee officers from services such as the Indian Administrative Services through a virtual conference.
1:00 am: PM Modi now onboard in India's first seaplane, flying to Ahmedabad
12:50 am: PM Modi inaugurates India's first seaplane service in Gujarat
09:50 am: The way the truth (about Pulwama attack in India) has been admitted in the parliament of the neighbouring country, it has exposed the real faces of those who did politics over the incident, PM Modi says
9:48 am: The country can never forget that some people were not saddened at the sacrifice of the security personnel during the Pulwama attack. At that time, these people were only doing politics...I request them not to do such politics in the interest of the nation, PM says
9:40 am: Today, all countries of the world need to unite against terrorism. No one can benefit from terrorism and violence. India has always fought against terrorism, says PM
9:36 am: India has been the victim of terrorism. We have lost several jawans, bravehearts and civilians, says PM Modi
9:34 am: Today, Kashmir has moved on a new path of development...Whether it is restoration of peace in the Northeast, or the steps being taken for development there, today the country is establishing new dimensions of unity, PM says
9:25 am: Today, a seaplane service from Sabarmati riverfront to Kevadia will be started today. This will help boost tourism in this area, PM Modi says
INDIA'S FIRST SEAPLANE SERVICE
- In a first-of-its-kind service, the 19-seater seaplane will be used for flights between the Sabarmati riverfront and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel's Statue of Unity. The seaplane has arrived from Maldives.
- Leased by Spicejet, the Twin Otter 300 seaplane will be able to accommodate 12 passengers.
- The services will be provided incentives and benefits under the central government's 'Udaan' scheme. The scheme is being implemented as per a tripartite agreement between the Gujarat government, the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- The seaplane will cut travel time and improve connectivity between the Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad and the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, which is approximately 90 km from Vadodara, 150 km from Surat, and 200 km from Ahmedabad.
- The distance of 200 km between Ahmedabad to Kevadia usually takes four hours by road. However, now the seaplane will take only half an hour to reach its destination.
- SpiceJet will ply four round-trips of the seaplanes in a day i.e, eight flights between Ahmedabad and Kevadia.
- The ticket price of a single seaplane ticket is expected to be as low as Rs 1500.